Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Another Op'nin Another Show

I am finally free of tech weeks!! No more shows opening until November! We opened Kiss Me Kate this past weekend. Tech week sucked. I'm so glad it's over. I'm still having to do fixes and changes with the lights until press night on Friday, but I can deal with it.

Despite the endless hours of tech, I have managed to complete some knitting. As I mentioned in my last post, I finally finished LL's birthday socks.

finally done!

Toe-up Jaywalkers with picot edged cuff
Austermann Step yarn
magic loop on 40" US size 2 addi turbos

I'm fairly happy with how these turned out. I'm not crazy about the random dark green stripe in the one sock. I like that they are fraternal twin socks. (The recipient actually has fraternal twin daughters, so it works!) It was my first picot cuff. I will definitely do it again. I took the time to do a stretchy sewn bind off, but then when I sewed the edge of the cuff down, I made it a little too tight. I learned from my mistake on the second sock though.
picot edge

I currently have two projects on the needles. I couldn't wait to play with the cashmere I got in NYC. It has become the Icarus Shawl. Well, it's currently in it's infancy, but hopefully it will grow up to be an Icarus Shawl!
Icarus in its infancy
The pattern is fairly simple (so far) if you actually pay attention to what you are doing. I however, keep missing yarn overs, so there has been a painful amount of ripping back. The yarn is so delicate and thin, ripping back is not an easy task. And seriously, there has been way too much ripping back! It was extremely frustrating, but I think I'm back on track now. This will probably be a Christmas gift, but if I can finish it in time and it turns out gorgeous, I am contemplating entering it in the Virginia Fall Fiber Festival. Time may be against me on that, but we shall see.

I am desperate to start playing with the Trekking I got in NYC too, but I have forced myself to finish a lingering UFO first. Ages ago, I won some fabulous neon yarn from Spunky Eclectic for being the 1000 sock knit in 2006 on Amie's blog. I made one lonely elfine sock with it. It sat alone for many, many, many months. I have finally started its mate. Finally!
a sock and a half

I forgot how much I enjoy knitting this pattern. This picture isn't great - I will take an outdoor picture with better lighting when they are a finished set. But yes, they are BRIGHT! Very fun!

In other FO news.... during tech last week, I finished my purple Koigu Jaywalkers.
finished koigu jays
I love them. Did these toe-up too. But two at the same time. Which, I think, will be the way I do socks from now on - two at the same time. I definitely have Second Sock Syndrome. (Let's not discuss the Pomatomus sock that I still haven't finished.) If I don't do them both at the same time, I won't finish them. I have learned.

I have more to babble about, but I just realized that it is 2:10 a.m. and I have to get up early. So, I'm off to bed. Maybe, just maybe... I'll actually sleep!

Here's a picture of a very big, very cool moth I saw at the theatre the other day.
moth

Good night!

3 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

Wow! check out you and all the finished socks!!!! I love the elfine's - bright is my thing!

8:27 AM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

man, i love the glow of the neon elfins! you have seriously been cranking out some socks! and just in time, as the weather is turning cooler :)

9:53 AM  
Blogger KT said...

Okay, your company and mine are about nine months off of each other. We're doing Kiss Me Kate next summer. Yours truly is probably gonna end up SM'ing it, since the PSM wants to do Urinetown. We're getting ready to do Seussical (the TYA version, luckily).

I love your socks, as always! I'm glad your singles are finally getting mates! Socks like those deserve to be worn!

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home