Friday, June 30, 2006

Socks are DONE.

I finally finished the socks for my sister's birthday on Monday. I cast off about an hour before I headed to her house to give them to her.
finished sister socks
toe-up, 2 at the same time, magic loop
needles: addi turbo circular size 2
plain foot with a K3 P1 ribbed cuff - didn't really use a pattern.
yarn: ONline Supersocke 100 in City Color

I'm still not crazy about the colorway, but overall they came out ok. They are shorter than I wanted. I really wanted to finish the entire ball of yarn, but I ran out of time to knit any more!
I tried a new (new to me) stretchy bind off that I found here. It's a sewn cast-off. It was much stretchier than my usual cast-off, so I was pretty happy with it. There was no tight cast-off edge cutting off my circulation, for once!

My sister really likes them and even wore them the night I gave them to her.

Now that the socks are done, I am back to working on my sheep puppet. I love knitting this!

It's currently a SCARY HEADLESS SHEEP!
Headless Sheep
I'm trying to decide if I like my color choices. I kinda think that I either needed to give him a beige head, or I should have made him have brown paws to match the brown head. But hopefully I will be content with it the way it is. I love love love knitting two handed fair isle. It's challenging and interesting. I'm already contemplating a second sheep. There are three other patterns to choose from!

I did a little blocking on it, just to make sure it would eventually fit on my hand. I soaked the body in a little Eucalan wash and then stretched it over a glass candle holder. It worked really well. I really need to block out the paws too, but I think I'll wait till I get the head finished and then block the whole thing. The directions suggest using a wooden darning egg on the head. Raise your hands... how many of you have a wooden darning egg on hand? Yeah, my hand is down too. I do however have these heavy hand-blown glass ornaments that a friend made for me. They may just be the perfect sheep head size!

This has been my hospital knit. Every time I go to see my dad he asks how the sheep is coming along. The finished sheep will definitely be travelling to the hospital.

On my way (well, sort of "on the way") to the hospital today, I went into Alexandria and went to Spring Water Fibers. I had never been there before. I am proud to say I didn't buy anything. Then I went to Knit Happens where I ran into Holly, who I met at Lolly's Knit Day on the Mall. The first thing I saw when I walked into the shop was the Koigu shelf. Yeah, um... I didn't quite make it out of there empty handed!
Pretty Purple Koigu!

It's July 1st! A new Project Spectrum month! I needed purple Koigu! Really.. I did! (I can rationalize most anything.)

I'm thinking the sheep will probably be done in the next two days or so. So I think purple Koigu socks may need to occur. I still haven't successfully finished a pair of Jaywalkers, so that may be my pattern of choice. I've become a big fan of the "two socks at the same time" method, so if I can actually figure out the toe-up version, I will attempt those soon.

I am looking forward to Knit Night on Monday. I haven't seen some of you people in way too long!

5 Comments:

Blogger KT said...

Yay for socks! And remember, sock yarn does not count as stash! (Which is good, as I'm accruing sock yarn at an insane rate lately!) Toe up Jaywalkers are just the same as cuff down Jaywalkers - you just reverse the pattern rows. I think that's what I did, anyway. My Jays were cursed, though, so you might want to take that with a grain of salt.

I love the sheep!!

4:41 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Whew! You gotta warn people before you show them scary headless sheep like that!!!

It looks great, and I can't wait to see it Monday - oh, and I guess I'm looking forward to you, too. Hell, I'll go so far as to say the headless sheep is insuperior to you... ;D

9:59 AM  
Blogger Stacey Rothchild said...

Headless sheepies! Eeps! (so cute so far though!) I'll have to try that bind off - I'm looking for a new stretchy one!

Purple Koigu....oooh...

5:44 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I like the blue socks-they remind me of faded blue jeans. The sheep puppet is so cool! Good luck on your Jaywalkers....a tip from mine is CHECK YOUR GUAGE! Just sayin', I learned the hard way. Mine will be *ahem* a bit snug.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how things look different through different eyes? When your blog opened, the first thing I saw was the socks and my first response was, "What a fabulous colorway!" Of course my second was..."Dang! The girl is good! She matched the stripes!"

Just delurking to say hi...and tell you I enjoy your blog.

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home