Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Back to our regularly crafty programming....


it was a sock....

It was a sock. Or at least the toe of a sock. And then I decided... I do not like this yarn. I am very sad about this realization. I love the colors - the blue and brown are perfect together. But despite the fact that it is supposed to be sock yarn, this yarn is not right for socks. It's too thick. I was working on a simple toe-up. I did the recommended increases and got to a point where I realized it was going to be too big-because the yarn is too thick for socks. So back to the stash it has been sent. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. Maybe just suck it up and make THICK socks with it.... But not now.

I cast on for my second Pomatomus instead. I've been inspired by Dipsy who just finished a pretty pair. I don't know why I've let this languish for so long - I LOVE my first Pomatomus. It's time for a complete set!

I've also developed a new craft obsession. BEADS. It started innocently enough - I wanted stitch markers. Pretty beaded stitch markers. So I went a little crazy and made about two dozen of them. (I didn't take any pictures of them...)

Then I decided I could make earrings too.
earrings

Then today, I made a necklace. I saw a Mandy Moore movie a while back (How to Deal)
(Yes, I watched a Mandy Moore movie, I admit it!) In the movie, she wore a very long red beaded necklace with mahjong tiles on the ends of it. (I just found a picture of her wearing it HERE.) She had it on in pretty much every scene, but she wore it different ways every time. I have been obsessing about this necklace. I really liked it and wanted one of my own. I did a few internet searches and had no luck. So I finally made it myself. It's just a really long straight strand of red beads with bigger black and white beads at the ends. I couldn't find mahjong tiles that I liked so I used glass beads instead.

Here are a few pictures of my chest. Just what you always wanted to see!
necklace
necklace
necklace
I will probably still be on the lookout for decent mahjong tiles. I figure if I find some I like, I can easily take the glass beads off the ends and replace them. But I'm pretty happy with the way it is now. I wore it to the theatre tonight and got lots of compliments.

I just realized I forgot to blog about another knitting project. I had started a dinosaur over the weekend. Mr. Stegs, to be exact. (link opens a pdf file.) For some stupid reason, I knit the entire head and body in horrible Red Heart acrylic. I HATE it. It is stiff and yucky and I'm throwing it out. The pattern is really easy and I really want a Mr Stegs, so I will try again with real yarn soon. And I will be getting rid of all traces of Red Heart acrylic that are currently in my home. I had kept it deliberately to make toys with it, but it's just too awful. I think Mr. Stegs will be reknit with Caron Simply Soft or maybe with some Cascade 220 I have in my stash.

But first... finish the damn pomatomus!!!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, but that yarn looks beautiful! I've also been using way too thick yarn for both the Jays and the Poms that I've been doing lately - I think if you're not doing a real pattern with them, just a plain stockinette sock, then you'll end up having gorgeous socks with this yarn! And, the next winter will certainly come (it already arrived here, yuck), so thick socks will come in very handy!
I absolutely adore the stitch markers you've been doing, and the necklace rocks, that's a real beauty and suits you so fine! Great work! And hey, I'm looking forward to seeing your Poms, great that you decided to continue working on them - have fun!

1:57 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I love the color of that yarn - I'd just do some thicker, simple ribbed socks - I am working on a pair out of worsted yarn! they go nice and quick!!!

Nice beading too - can never have too many stitch markers!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Yes finish the hippo!! I am dying to see them!

I love the jewelry you've made! I have no patience for making jewelry!! Your really is inspiring!!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Is it too cheesy to drop my own name? Cuz I'm starting teaching some beading classes - a spool knit bracelet... let me know if you're interested. (I can also teach you a necklace pattern that is knit with wire and beads) Talk to me (hair flip) if you're interested....

10:20 PM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Is it Knitpicks dye your own? The Knitpicks yarn is a little thick, but I've been knitting it on a size 1 and the sock feels cushy, not thick. I've been trying to come up with other uses for this yarn too. So far I've thought fingerless mitts or a hat might be nice.

Could you please remind me of which columbia knit night is where? Thanks!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

i love the colors of that yarn! is that some of the yarn you dyed in your class? i found a great super quick pattern for thick yarn for socks-if you google "you're putting me on sock pattern" it should pop right up. if not, email me (knittykarenAThotmailDOTcom) and i can email you the pattern. if you look throgh my blog archives for april, it's the pattern i used to make the HUGE yellow and orange socks. they turned out too big for my feet, but if you decrease the stitch count they should be fine. i didn't guage first. :(

4:49 PM  
Blogger KT said...

I, too, love the colors of that yarn. It's a shame to put it away, but sometimes you have to until it tells you what it wants. If you're not so sure about socks with it, perhaps consider mittens or maybe even a hat? I'm told it gets cold enough to wear such garments in other parts of the country (*ducks*). The earrings and necklace are great!

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a great beading store in Catonsville, whose name escapes me right now, but I love it there. She may have the beads you are looking for.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

If you head back to DC anytime soon, you can get a mah jong set in Chinatown for about $25. I like the necklace as is though, a very versatile accessory.

I hope that you can find something else lovely to make with that yarn, the colors are so pretty.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

You got some cute stuff there...ever try row markers for your knitting or crocheting...I think you have the talent for it.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I SO did not need to hear that beads can become addicting as well. After ordering stitch markers online, I realized, HEY - I CAN DO THIS MYSELF! I'm considering trying them as well, so wish me luck!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Nice warm slipper like socks for cold winter nights... mmmm.... save the thick yarn 'til about November when your toes start to get cold, it'll be perfect then :)

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home