Saturday, May 13, 2006

Lazy Saturday

I have a sad story to share, but I'll save it for the end of the post.

I'm having a lazy Saturday. I had plans to be productive today, but it just didn't happen. I took myself out to breakfast(a Saturday morning tradition) and then spent most of the day knitting. I've been working on the Flower Basket Shawl.

Here's my progress:
flower basket progress
I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm dying to see it blocked! I would also like to thank Laura for helping me with the pattern. That's been a nice bonus to meeting all these new knitting friends - I have helplines I can call when I have a problem! Being new to this lace thing, I was having issue with reading the chart. But with Laura's help, I know what I'm doing now.

I meant to take the chart to the theatre with me last night to xerox it and make it BIGGER. But I forgot. So this is my alternate solution
pattern reading
The joy of a PDF file is that you can enlarge it... A lot! I have it magnified up to 200% and with the help of some post-it notes stuck to my monitor, I can SEE! So, I spent the afternoon listening to Podcasts on my computer and knitting.

This evening I watched part of season one of Grey's Anatomy on DVD. Since I work nights, I never watch prime time television. So, I'm always really behind on all the good shows. Thank goodness for DVD's! I had never seen Grey's Anatomy before, but had heard good things about it. Well, let me tell you... Any show that begins a season with Patrick Dempsey laying bare ass naked on the floor is OK by me. Umm... hello HOTTIE! Yeah, really liking it so far. Just keep showing Patrick Dempsey a lot! Needless to say, there was no knitting accomplished during my Patrick Dempsey fest.

Sad Story

I went out to run a quick errand this afternoon. As I left my development, I happened to notice a bunny lying in the gutter on the side of the road. She was up on her front legs trying to drag herself - her back legs weren't moving. Obviously hit by a car. I had no idea what to do. I made a bunch of phone calls and finally talked to my friend Heather who is an "Animal Person."

Heather convinced me to take the bunny to the Emergency Vet Clinic. So, I wrapped this pathetic ball of fluff in a sweater, put her in a milk crate and took her to the vet. She was so sad. She just laid in the milk crate, completely helpless - just staring at me. But, she was calm.

The news at the vet was not good. Her back was broken and they had to euthanize her. Poor Heather was really upset when I told her. She had offered to pay if they could have done anything to save the bunny, but it was hopeless. Heather has a really good heart.

I know I did the right thing and at the very least, she didn't have to suffer any longer. But I know I'm going to have that memory of those brown bunny eyes burned into my brain for a very long time.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no - it's not even 7 am over here and I'm already crying :( That story is too sad, that poor little bunny! You sure did the right thing to have it put down to sleep, but I can imagine very well that you won't forget these sad little eyes for a long while. I hope that it's now in bunny-heaven, at least it's not feeling any pain anymore...
I absolutely love how your shawl is coming along by the way, what a beautiful pattern!

1:06 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh... that is sad but true that, at least you comforted the bunny and then it was quick versus the suffering it would have endured had you left it there... So you made the end of its life warm and comfortable so think of that when you think of the sad eyes.

8:47 AM  
Blogger KT said...

Think of how you would feel if you had looked into those big bunny eyes and NOT done anything to help. You did the right thing, and it's sweet to mourn the bunny *hugs*

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did something for that bunny that most people wouldn't have done, and you didn't let it suffer, that's most important.

On a happier note, the shawl looks great with that yarn! I hope you'll bring it tomorrow to knit night! Also, if you're having problems, you may want to consider using lifelines, they've saved my ass a number of times.

Hope you had a happy un-mothers day too!

11:57 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

good for you taking care of that little bunny.

9:34 AM  
Blogger GinaChick said...

You did a great and compassionate thing for that bunny, and I admire you for having the courage to take matters in to your own hands!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

That is so sad! But, you did the best thing for the bunny - it didn't suffer any longer than it needed to. Good for you for picking it up - I can imagine how many people just drove by it without even looking or caring. I would have done the same!

PS - the FBS is looking beautiful!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

I'm glad that you took the bunny to the vet. And I can only hope that whomever ran over the bunny was unaware that he/she had done so. The thought of someone knowingly leaving an animal to suffer makes me cringe for humanity.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home