Monday, May 01, 2006

It's May!

Happy May Day everyone! It is absolutely beautiful outside, and yes - very GREEN!

I had a great day on Saturday hanging out with the ever fabulous Lolly. We left Columbia VERY EARLY (I actually dragged my ass out of bed before 7:00 a.m. It was quite an accomplishment.) and met the very cool Mama E for coffee (out of bed before 7:00 a.m. I had a HUGE coffee!) and bagels.
Mama E and Lolly
We had a really nice time chatting it up. These are 2 wonderful women and I'm really enjoying getting to know them. It's so very cool that this solitary pastime of knitting has brought so many new and wonderful friends into my life.

After breakfast, Mama E headed off to work and Lolly and I headed off to the Sugarloaf Craft Festival. I hadn't been to the fest in many years. Tons of artisans, lots of beautiful stuff. We had a nice time checking out all the cool stuff. I caved and bought a new bag. (yeah... like I need ANOTHER bag.)
my new bagBut c'mon... how cute is this little bag?? I needed to have it! I also bought some chocolate for my mom and some maple sugar candy for me. I'd show you a picture of that, but strangely, it disappeared. um... yeah, that's it...

We went and watched this woman give a demonstration of papermaking. She was sparkly. (I had to wonder... do you ever get too old to wear glitter all over your face? I mean really...?) She was however, very interesting - if a little nervous. She makes HUGE handmade paper.(the frame in the picture is miniscule compared to what she normally works with.) Very cool.
papermaking lady at Sugarloaf

We had to stop and take a picture of Lolly checking out the giant stuffed turtles. (Just for you SoapTurtle!)
Lolly and the turtles
These were easily the most expensive stuffed animals on the planet. And one crazy woman made all of this stuff by hand.

After the fest, we realized it was still really early in the day, so we decided to head off to check out some yarn stores. Shocker! We drove out to Woolstock. Lolly had never been before. We both fondled lots of yarn, but did manage to get out of there empty handed. Then we headed back to Columbia and decided to visit All About Yarn. Sadly, I did not manage to get out of there empty handed. I bought some Cotton Classic to use for my Calla. I was going to try to restrain myself due to the impending MS&W, but I had nothing on the needles and I was ready to start a new project!
Calla in progress I figured out what I was doing wrong(it involves my counting disability) and have finally got somewhere with this pattern. I need to go get a circular needle to continue working on this. I haven't had big long needles in my hands in a while. I feel like I have extra appendages. I've been knitting with tiny sock needles so much, that this is kind of awkward. This is also going to have to be an "at home" project. It requires too much attention for me to take it to the theatre. So, I will be casting on for new socks soon too. Gotta love the portability of a sock!

And speaking of socks... When I got home from my fun day with Lolly, I had another fabulous treat awaiting me... FREE YARN!
Free Yarn for ME
Oh yeah baby! That's Lorna's Laces that I won from the very kind and generous Heather. I've never had Lorna's Laces before. YAY! The colors are so vibrant. love it! And of course, it's already been on the ball winder.
Lorna's Laces

Wow, this is a long post...

Two more days till my dyeing class. SOOOOO excited. And actually, I am about to head out to the store to buy some supplies. I'm supposed to bring rubber gloves, 2 plastic dishpans or buckets, and a roll of paper towels. I think I may also look around for an inexpensive apron to protect my clothes.

Knit night tonight at Border's in Columbia. 7 p.m. See you there!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems you had such an amazing time meeting up with the girls for the festival! And all the gorgeous yarn you got that day, looking forward to seeing what you're gonna make with it!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Your yarn is gorgeous and your bag is even cuter in person - how come you didn't buy me one???


Let me know if you need me to do a hostage --er, yarn exchange with Mama-E tomorrow before your class. I'll be in Glen Burnie until Noon, but then will head to Columbia, and can swing by to meet her someplace in between...

12:09 AM  
Blogger aija said...

Beautiful bag!!

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home