Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Sheep
peek a baaa!

The Wool
wall o' yarn

The Friends
Erin, Lolly and a sheep

The Loot
The loot
(Click on the pics above for more pics. Just a word of warning - I took WAY too many pictures of sheep!)

This is the third time I've tried to compose this post. I'm still overwhelmed. All the wonderful things you've heard about MDS&W - It's all TRUE!!!!!

It was amazing. I had such a truly wonderful weekend. I loved it all. I'm still sad that it's over.
The thing is - yes, the yarn and fiber and all things knitting were truly spectacular, but the thing I really enjoyed the most was the incredible sense of community I felt there. I felt like I belonged there. I got to hang out with all of my very cool knitting friends. I met many many new cool knitting friends. Everyone there was so happy and kind. The vendors, the crowd, heck - even the damn sheep were so friendly and welcoming.

I was elated by silly little things -
Walking into the Main Exhibition Hall (the first time, the second time, the third time....)
Watching a sheep get shorn
Finding Koigu on the second day when I thought it was all gone
Alpacas - ohmygod sooooo cute! I want one! Anyone wanna give me $30,000 to buy an alpaca?
Angora bunnies - again, sooo cute and I sooo want one.
Feeling sheep breath on my fingers
Petting miles and miles of gorgeous yarn and fiber
Kettle Korn
Watching the sheep dogs
Being a part of the HUGE group of knit bloggers that gathered on Saturday afternoon
Hanging out with all my knitting friends(priceless)
Stumbling on a very bizarre "fashion show" featuring people and sheep that were dressed alike
Having a sheep nudge me when I stopped petting him - reminded me of my poodle wanting attention
Knit Bloggers Ball
Buying my first drop spindle

It kills me that I have lived not 15 miles from the Sheep and Wool Festival for 13+ years and this was the FIRST time I have ever been there! I didn't even know it existed before this year!
How many more days till it comes back???

Between the festival and my yarn dying, I have lots of projects going right now. I will have to post on that at a later date though 'cause I'm tired.

On a side note...
For those who have asked, The Poodle seems to be doing better. She was bouncy and happy and back to herself this morning. She's still having some digestive issues, but she's definitely doing better. I'm hoping for more improvement tomorrow.

Still dreaming about Alpaca.....

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your impressions and the great pics of the festival - it almost made me feel as if I'd been there myself! It must have been so cool meeting all these fellow fiber enthusiasts who you've mostly all knows before through their blogs, and of course drooling over all this yarn beauty! So great!

3:36 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

I only made it for the last 35 minutes of the Festival, so I missed you. I did score the Addi Turbos, some Koigu, and some dye, so if you ever want to come over and play with dye (and maybe try self striping, LOL?) let me know. Pretty good shopping for 35 minutes, huh? I was only able to do that since I went straight to Exhibition Hall A after your email. Thanks!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Well, you can get a fixed male alpaca (they use them for fiber and as "companion alpacas") for under $10 grand, but you need at least two, because an alpaca will die of a broken heart if it doesn't have another alpaca with it (hence the need for companion alpacas).

So that's really only $20 grand you'd need.


SO glad you had fun... can't wait to teach you that spindle! I think we're planning a spin knit at Sarah's

8:48 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

It was so great to see you again! I'm really excited to see how your drop spindle goes for you. I came really close to buying one, and gave it a great deal of consideration but in the end passed on it, though I can't really explain why. Which one did you get?
Glad to hear that your puppy is better, maybe he should get a little alpaca brother as a get well gift!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

It was so good to meet you! Llama, llama, duck!

12:47 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Gorgeous koigu in your loot!

I'm so jealous reading all of the mds&w posts... :)

1:54 PM  
Blogger K2 Knits said...

Hey Colleen,

Just wanted to say a quick hello. It was such fun to meet you at the Knitbloggers Ball! Hopefully I can make it to your knitting group at some point in the future. Y'all are such awesome ladies! :P

Kate

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home