Thursday, May 04, 2006

Dyeing Class

Ok, I've had some sleep, my feet don't feel like lead bricks anymore... I can write a little more about this class.

I should preface this by saying I had a good time. BUT...

I was a little disappointed. I really don't feel like the class was worth what I paid for it. My disappointment started very early in the day when we were locked out of the building and had to wait for someone to let us in. Then, we spent a very long time setting everything up. I really felt that since I was paying money for this, everything should have been set up long before we got there. I mean really - I was lifting 400 pound tables (that shit was HEAVY!) and carrying stuff out of the instructor's car. The class was supposed to start at 9, but I think with the getting locked out and the set up, we didn't start doing anything until 10.

Then the class itself....
I don't feel like I learned anything. I felt like the instructor said "here's the dye, have at it." and that was it. She talked about different kinds of dye, she gave us a bunch of handouts that she downloaded off the internet (I could have done that at home), she showed us how to mix some of the citric acid presoak stuff, and I mixed some dye - but again, I could have read all that on the internet. I wanted her to show us different dyeing techniques, I wanted to see how to use a warping board, I wanted to make self striping yarn on purpose instead of by accident - there was none of that. It was "here's a paint brush, go paint your yarn." Then she wandered around the room and said "oh pretty colors" a lot.

I enjoyed painting my yarn, I enjoyed meeting new people, but I don't feel like I learned anything.

Oh... and where is my yarn? She still has it. She called and said to pick it up today, then she called and said pick it up tomorrow. So, I am picking it up tomorrow. I'm a little worried because I know that some of my dye leaked. (Another complaint - they said to bring a roll of paper towels. They should have said bring several rolls of paper towels. I ran out very quickly - so I did not do a good job of getting rid of excess dye.) So, I'm not sure if there is going to be blue dye all over my yarn or not. Hopefully the other packs of yarn were wrapped well enough to keep out the leaks.

Ok... enough complaining!

Sheep and Wool is in 2 days! Hoorah!!!! Actually, in 15 minutes I can say "Sheep and Wool is TOMORROW!!!"

I have been knitting a bit.

Calla

I'm plugging along on Calla. I hadn't worked on it in a few days, but went back to it at work this evening. There are soooo many mistakes on this little band of yarn. So, I think this will be the back! If it's in the back, I won't be able to see where messed up, right? I'm learning though... I am writing myself little notes to remind myself where I am in the pattern so I'm not confused when I pick it up again. That's one of my big problems with any knitting I do - I forget where I am a lot!

Oh course I've also got a sock on the needles...
PS socks Sorry for the blurry pictures. This is Elfine sock in my fabu Lime Fire Colorway from Spunky Eclectic.

I love how the stripes look on the back. (the sole)
stripey goodness There has been some contemplation about ripping these out and just doing a plain old toe up sock with no lacy pattern. Can't decide. I am open for suggestions and opinions.

Hey! Guess what!!!
Sheep and Wool is TOMORROW!!!

Morty and his crazy eyes.
Morty is waiting for us!!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't blame you one bit for being dissappointed about the dyeing class - after reading through your story I definitely also felt that this was truly wasted money! If you've waited so long and then had to move all this stuff around, they should have at least added an hour afterwards to make up for it, no? Such a shame...
But for a brighter subject, I love how your knitting is getting along - your Calla looks mighty fine already and I loooove the socks, such cheerful and funky colors! And the sheep didn't freak me out as much on that pic like it did on the last one!
Do have a great time at the S&W festival!

7:48 AM  
Blogger laura said...

Well that's a pisser. I was hoping she taught you all sorts of different stuff so you could teach me. And yeah, they should have been set up and ready to go.

See you tomorrow!

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh! Wild-Eyed Morty! That'll wake a girl up in the morning! I'm sorry that the class was a disappointment, but hopefully you still get some good yarn from it. On the other hand, those Spunky socks rock my world! I LOVE how the colors are coming out. Don't rip them, I love the pattern. Think you'll have them done so we can see them this weekend?

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't wait to say hi to Morty!~

10:26 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

I would e-mail the festival organizers and tell them your experience. You're right, classes aren't cheap, and that doesn't sound like a very well done set up. I've had nothing but EXCELLENT classes at MD, but it's easy to get a bad class anywhere. I, too, am capable of downloading things off the internet. I can even read them without any assistance. I want more if I pay money for a class.

I don't know what good it will do - you won't get your money back or anything, but they might consider your feelings for future events...

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home