Tuesday, May 23, 2006

My First Lace
finished, blocked, pretty!

Yay! I'm done!
Pattern: Flower Basket Shawl from Interweave Knits Fall 2004
Yarn : Knit Picks Paint Your Own dyed by ME
Needles: Brittany size 7
Mods: The pattern called for double stranded lace weight. I used single stranded.

Comments: I love this. I'm so impressed with myself that I managed a lace shawl and that the yarn was hand dyed by me. I wish I had done a couple more pattern repeats and made it bigger. It's very small. But I think it was a great way to get my feet wet in lace knitting.

Here it is blocking
blocking

And here's a picture that I played with the exposure setting on my photo program. I thought it looked kinda cool
exposure

So now what? Yeah, I've been asking myself that all day. I still need to make mates for my hippo sock and my elfine sock. Not motivated. I'm actually feeling a bit of a sock slump. I'm just not really interested in knitting socks right now. I know, it's just shocking, isn't it?

This morning, I ripped up what I had done on Calla, save the ribbing. I knew I couldn't live with the mistakes I had made. (By the way, I think I can safely say - there are NO mistakes on my FBS. I ripped back and corrected every mistake I made. I'm proud of that fact!) So, I kept the ribbing and I will eventually start over.

As I'm sitting here typing, I remembered the long forgotten chicken I started. Maybe I'll work on that a bit. I would really like to finish it. After working on the lace, I really want something mindless to work on. Making a bunch of acrylic chicken feathers may just fit the bill!

I really enjoyed working on the lace. I actually had a semi-monogamous relationship with it. I really haven't worked on much else (except for a sock I cast on at the wine fest, and have quickly abandoned.) in the past week. I just bought A Gathering of Lace by Meg Swanson and I have a skein of blue lace weight (dyed by me). So there will be another lace project someday. I'm thinking Christmas present for my sister. Speaking of my sister... Her birthday is next month and I want to make her a pair of socks. I'm kind of planning on using the Hill Country Yarn that's been in my stash for a while now. It will be a good Project Spectrum knit for June and it's superwash which I think will be a good choice for my sister.

In the past few days, I've started to piece together my schedule for June. Basically, it sucks big time. I'm opening two shows in one month. On top of that stress, my housemate is having surgery on June 6, and my father is having major surgery on June 12. Fortunately, my Dad's surgery is on a week that I will not be in tech. I think I would lose my mind if I had to tech a show and deal with my father being in the hospital. I tell ya... Having elderly parents SUCKS.

On a happier note...
I had a great weekend. I went to Wine in the Woods on Saturday. The weather was GORGEOUS. Sunny and cool. Perfect for hanging out and drinking wine. Many, many, many other people had the same idea
Wine in the Woods

It was PACKED. I've been going to Wine in the Woods for many years, and I swear this was the most crowded I have ever seen it. Near the food and wine tents, you just could barely move. I did get to spend a little time with my pals Lolly and Laura. We knitted a bit in between wine tastings!

I would like to highly recommend Elk Run's sangria. It was sooo good. My friends and I polished off two bottles of the stuff. Sadly, when we went back for more, they were sold out. It was popular!
Remains of the Day

11 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

The shawl is beautiful! Fantastic.

4:48 PM  
Blogger laura said...

It's wonderful! Don't you want to knit it all over again?? I finally got my Diamond Fantasy pattern and have started on it while I lay around waiting to feel better. I go back to washcloth knitting when my head hurts too much.

6:37 PM  
Blogger KT said...

beautiful! great job!

You'll be very excited about A Gathering of Lace - I got it a while ago and they have the most beautiful patterns inside!

Glad you had fun this weekend! It sounds like a blast. Maybe you should find out if you can get more of the Sangria online - sounds like you'll need it for the shows!

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe how gorgeous this shawl turned out, it's a real beauty and you did an amazing job with it - congratulations! The pattern is so cool that I've placed it high up on my "Have to knit" list, but I doubt I'll be able to make it half as beautiful as you did!
It sounds you had such a fun weekend - yay for that!

4:13 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

yay! it looks great!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

that shawl is gorgeous! i'm very impressed with how your dyeing came out, i hope mine goes as well

12:12 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Absolutely beautiful shawl...that's a show piece for sure!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Beautiful job on the knitting and dying! It looks great!!!! Mmmm - sangria!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

great job..I'm working on my first lace project too and I love it.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Great job on the shawl, Coleen! The fact that you dyed the yarn yourself makes it even more special.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I literally gasped when I saw that picture of your shawl. It is so beautiful in both coloration and knitting, you should be so proud. I hope some of that good feeling of accomplishment will carry you through those hard times that are coming up this month.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home