Thursday, June 08, 2006

Busy busy busy busy

I haven't been able to post in a bit because I have been trapped in a darkened theatre all week long. I am in tech week (I love that Wikipedia has a definition of tech week!) and yes, it's hellish. For those of you who have never done theatre, tech week is (like wikipedia says..) the week before the opening of a show where all the technical elements are added. I, of course, am working on the lights. My job during tech week is not terribly difficult, but it can be brain numbing. I sit in front of the light board for hours on end while the lighting designer says things like "channel 22 at 65, I want fixture 3 pointed over there in lavender, bring channel 8 up 5 points." I then have to program all of this information into the light board. I am extremely fast at programming but it still takes hours and hours and hours. Then in the evening, all the actors come in and we run through the show. Lots of stopping and starting, working out problems, trying to get things working correctly, hoping no one gets hit by falling pieces of scenery or squished by the ill-functioning turn table on stage. 14 hours later, I get to come home, sleep and then head back for more. I tried to take some pictures of the disaster zone at the theatre, but they all came out very dark.

Monday during the day, I was at the board with nothing to do for a few minutes. I started mindlessly tapping on the light board - basically fidgeting. The lighting designer looked at me and said "you really are a little ADD, aren't you?" (which I've been telling her for EVER.) I said "I'd be less ADD if I had my knitting." "Well where is it? Get it out. You're driving me crazy with all this tapping!" Haaaa! Official permission to knit while programming! Like I said, I'm extremely fast at programming - so as long as I'm able to keep up with her shouting things at me, she doesn't care if I knit. Especially if it keeps me from fidgeting during down time! You can imagine the glee I experienced when the tech director gave me grief for knitting and I was able to say "The lighting designer insisted!"

So, I've been working on my potomoose. Probably not one of my wiser ideas - I've made a few mistakes since I can't give it my full concentration. But I'm going to pretend the mistakes aren't there and keep going. None of them are horrendous, so I can live with them.
Pomatomus 2 progress
The big problem is that I made the heel too long. But I really really don't want to fix it.

Here's a blurry closeup of my stitch markers that I made. (only 2 of MANY that I made)stitch markers

Because of my excessive amount of time at work this week, I've been a little remiss in posting about some fun stuff that came in the mail recently. Last week, I received a postcard for May from my Project Spectrum Postcard Swap Pal Lucy.
Project Spectrum May postcard
I love all the green butterflies!

On Monday, after an endless day at the theatre, I came home to find a fabulous treat in my mailbox. I got my yarn from my Dye-O-Rama pal! Yay!!! The lovely Lelah sent me this:
browns and blues
Dye-O-Rama

I love it. It's really pretty shades of robin's egg blue and pale brown. (looks grey in the pic, but it's more of a brown) As a little bonus, she also sent me some of her own handspun.handspun
Isn't it beautiful?? She's not really sure of the yardage, but I think I'll play with making a hat with it. Or maybe I'll just pet it for awhile!

Many thanks to Lucy and Lelah for brightening up my dreary tech week!

I do have something to look forward to this week (besides tech week being over!) My show opens Friday night and then on Saturday, I am going to the Mannings in PA with some of the Sucky Knitting Girls (see sidebar) for their Spinning Day. I still haven't figured out how to use my spindle, but I've always wanted to go to the Mannings and this is a perfect excuse. (not that I needed an excuse!)

Ok, it is 1:40 a.m. Why am I still awake?

5 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

Wow! you have been busy.

I saw some cool shrinky dink drink markers at Loew Vineyards and was thinking you could make some awesome stitch markers like that....

As for Mannings, I am still debating even tho I am pretty sure I'm not going. I mean, I want to go, but ... SO TIRED. I miss you all terribly!

7:21 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I hope the knitting helps keep you a little more sane at the light board, or at least makes it something to somewhat look forward to. The P socks look fab!

3:53 PM  
Blogger KT said...

God, tech week. I have one coming up in two and a half weeks, and we haven't even started regular rehearsals yet. I think I'm going to stock up on a bottle or five of the chardonnay from my favorite vineyard not far from here. Want me to save you some?

At least you can knit and only have one designer yelling at you...

10:03 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Busy girl!!!!

The P-Moose socks are looking great - lots of progress! It's nice you can knit while you are working! (sometimes being ADD has it's benefits!)

I wish I could go to the Mannings with you! I have heard so much about it!!!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Anon said...

I understand that! I just wrapped up a show last week, aka tech week last week

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home