Sunday, July 09, 2006

Aaaaahhh.... Electricity!

It's kind of amazing how much we take electricity for granted. I never think much about it, until I don't have it! For 7 hours today, we were without power. And sadly, there is still one small chunk of our neighborhood that is still dark - almost 12 hours! Rumor has it that it's a blown transformer. It is midnight, and the poor BG&E guys are still outside desperately trying to fix it. It looks like they are having to replace the entire transformer. So not only are my poor neighbors still without power, they are have large and loud trucks and equipment digging up their backyards at midnight.

I'd like to say that I spent my electric-free hours knitting, but I didn't. I did finally clean the PIT that is my bedroom. I can see the floor again! After I cleaned it, I thought "I guess I'll vacuum now." Um... No. Need electricity for that! Then I changed the sheets on my bed and went downstairs to put them in the wash. Um... No. Need electricity for that too! I thought about cleaning the bathroom, but it has no windows so it was too dark. I kept looking at my clock to see if I had to leave for work, but of course it wasn't on. I finally gave up and read a book.

So, thank you BG&E guys for finally getting our power restored! Now I'll have to come up with other excuses for why I haven't vacuumed yet.

Knitting....

Ms. Sheep Puppet is finally done!!!

tada!  Ms. Sheep Puppet!
Pattern: Estonian Hand Puppet from Spin Off Magazine Summer 2006
Yarn: 2 Ply Jumper Yarn by Jamieson & Smith bought at The Mannings(I can't find the labels, so I can't tell you colors!)
Needles: US 1 Addis DPNs and US 1 Brittany DPNs
Magazine, yarn and Addis purchased at The Mannings

I'm not really happy with how this turned out. It's not nearly as cute as the ones in the magazine. I'm not so good at the embroidery. The eyes came out ok, but the mouth/nose will probably be yanked and re-sewn. I also sewed the ears on crooked, but I think it just adds charm! This pattern was a bitch. There were some mistakes in it, and it was generally confusing. I wish I had carried the bottom pattern up into the neck a little, instead of doing the neck all in brown. I also wish that I had done the paws in brown. Despite the problems with the patterns, I really did enjoy working the fair isle pattern at the bottom. It is so cool to knit carrying yarns in both hands. I may try making another one someday, but not soon.

Last night, I attended my friend Mike's wedding. In a moment of silliness, I got the sheep puppet out of the car and brought her into the reception. My friend Jill acted as puppeteer and we took a few silly sheep shots. The funny part was that the official wedding photographers were very excited to take stupid sheep pictures too. They were following me and Jill around and taking all the same pictures I did.

Jill and friend
Jill - who I think had more fun with the puppet than anyone!

The happy couple (and sheep)
mmm.... lamb!
The happy couple!
Mike (and a sheep)
The Groom, my pal Mike!

aaaaah
She really wanted a margarita, but she took what she could get.

caught the bouquet!
Catching the bouquet or stealing the bouquet?


The wedding, by the way, was beautiful. My favorite part was that all the bridesmaids were in these really pretty white and yellow gowns (surprisingly pretty, since most bridesmaids dresses are hideous!) and every single one of them (there were many) was wearing yellow flip flops. I speak from experience when I say that most brides I have known, have an evil desire to dress their bridesmaids in the most revolting combination of lace and satin that they can possibly find, complete with GIANT butt bow. And then they add injury to insult by making them wear painful strappy sandals with four inch heels that cut off all circulation to the foot - dyed to match the dress of course. So besides the humor factor, I think yellow flip flops were a fabulous idea!
I really wanted to take a picture of all the bridesmaids' feet, but as I didn't know any of them, I thought asking to take such a picture would make me seem a little scary!

I'm still knitting away on the purple jaywalkers. They are a good mindless lighting booth knit.
toe up jaywalkers in progress
purple jays in progress

Gotta say... loving the Koigu!

12 Comments:

Blogger aija said...

I think your sheep is adorable! :)

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, this sheep is so very cute, you did a really great job with it - and hey, your embroidery is perfect! And I can't believe how cool your Jays are looking with that yarn, this colorline rocks big time!
Thanks so much also for sharing these wedding pics, it seems everyone had such a blast - even the sheep! :)

4:08 AM  
Blogger Samira said...

The sheep is very cute and so are all the pix! What a great way to learn Fair Isle.

When I made my Koigu socks I used their Fun Socks pattern. They didn't come out as well as I'd like; they look kind of stumpy and they are shorter than I prefer. But when I put them on...HEAVEN. I love them. You will love them. I think the Jaywalker pattern is a good one for the yarn because it's fairly stretchy. I was thinking of using it for my next pair in Koigu as well so I'll be interested to see how they turn out for you.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Jolene said...

I love it!!! I can' wait to see it in person.
I really want to make one now.
JOlene

9:41 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Hmmm... Too dark to clean, so you read? Suuuuurrre...


The sheep is adorable, and it looks like she really enjoyed the wedding. MY bridesmaid dresses were very cool, and they had their own pick for shoes, which were so wildly different the official photographer took a picture of all our feet. It was great. If I'd gotten married in the summer, I might have done flip-flops too.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, he turned out cuter than the one in the magazine! And much friendlier.

10:30 PM  
Blogger mathaphobic said...

Cute sheep! I'd leave him alone.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Had fun today - you're the best date I had all day!

8:20 PM  
Blogger mainiax said...

Are you making 2 socks on one long needle I have been looking forever for a pattern to do that. A lady I met at the boston knit-out showed me but I forgot where she said to get the pattern.

Love the sheep are you going to make more puppet so he can have some friends.

1:43 PM  
Blogger chacha / Jen said...

My power was out for about 12 hours. I even made some pretty decent knitting progress during the outage...

LOVE the sheep! It's too cute! :)

4:43 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I sported a pair of white Old Navy flip flops with my wedding dress... :)

Great job on the sheep puppet - so cute!!!

9:08 AM  
Blogger somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Let me guess, your sheep's name is Dolores! Does Franklin know yet??
=:8

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home