Thursday, September 14, 2006

New Trick

I hate to purl. I'm a continental knitter and I usually purl using my left thumb to wrap the yarn around the needle. I worked on it and I am now able to purl in a more "normal" way by using my index finger to wrap the yarn. But, for long stretches of purling, I still revert back to using my thumb - and either way, I still don't like purling.

So, tonight I started the heel of my neon Elfine sock. It's a simple short row heel. And I thought - UGH, I hate purling. Suddenly I remembered hearing about knitting "backwards" as a way to avoid purling. You knit left to right which gets you out of both purling and having to turn your work. So, I gave it a try. I had no idea what I was doing, but I just tried to think of how the needles and yarn move when I'm purling and then tried to replicate it on the right side of the work. SUCCESS!!! It took me a bit of practice, but I think I've got the hang of it. It will take a bit to be proficient at it, but I think it will be definitely be worth the effort. Especially if it gets me out of purling!

And just for you... a demonstration of the technique. Be most impressed with my camera work - it took some serious acrobatics to accomplish this!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazingly clear video--I don't even know how one would set up the camera to do that. Congrats on teaching yourself to knit backward! I find reaching the yarn to the right to wrap is more awkward than the way I purl, so I haven't really stuck with it, but maybe someday!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Great video! Maybe next week you can do a "live" demo! I've always wanted to learn knitting backwards!

9:21 AM  
Blogger KT said...

Good video! Congrats on learning a new technique!

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also hate purling. Thank you for the video!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Wow! That is some great video! I can't wait to give it a try!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very impressed. That way must be easier for a leftie but sure worth a try. Great video!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Cool trick!

1:26 PM  
Blogger laura said...

Holy Cow! that really is a great video! I'm going to have to try it!

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember someone saying at the knit night last monday that they were mezmerized by your video. That was the perfect word. I just watched the video about 12 times and I am still mezmerized. I am going to go home and try this tonight. Thanks Coleen!

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home