Wednesday, September 20, 2006

something finished, something new, and something in progress...

Been doing lots-a-knittin' around here. I forced myself to finish my Elfine's socks. I hate them.
finished elfine socks
elfine detail


I liked the pattern, I love the yarn, love the colors. But together, not so much. Also, there is some seriously sloppy knitting going on in these socks. When I knit the first one, I apparently chose to completely misread the pattern. There are purl stitches on the sides that just shouldn't be there. And since I knit the first one that way, ages ago, I felt like I needed to make the second sock match. The heels are atrocious - short rows with many holes. And, these socks do not fit very well. They are too big. So, no likey likey. They will be bed socks. I will sleep in them and they shall never see the light of day.

BUT... They are DONE! Which means I gave myself permission to cast-on for a new pair of socks!
madder rib socks

Yay for Trekking! This is the first pair of socks I have made with Trekking yarn, despite the fact that I have three skeins of Trekking in my stash. It's Trekking XXL in color 109. I love the color changes - so pretty! I am knitting the very simple Madder Rib socks from Knitting Vintage Socks. Something mindless to knit while I am stuck in the light booth. I started them on Sunday and am making pretty good progress. I think there will be heels occurring this weekend. You will notice that I'm knitting them both at the same time. I'm telling ya, second sock syndrome kills me.

Before my show starts every night, I sit at the foot of the light booth and knit. I get comments all the time. Usually "what are you making? who are they for? When are you going to knit something for me?" and my personal favorite "you are always crocheting!" I answer "socks, me, never" and generally just shake my head in disgust at the crocheting comment. These people see me knitting EVERY night, I have corrected them repeatedly and yet they still call it crocheting. And of course, when I did actually crochet, they said "you are always knitting!" Actors - 'nuff said.

I got the crochet comment on Sunday from the reed player in the orchestra. When I corrected him, (nicely, I might add) he said "but those aren't knitting needles!" So I had to show him that despite the fact that the needles were connected (circular) they were still needles and not a hook. Then, the drummer from the orchestra walked by. He asked "Are you knitting with metal?" He was looking at the cable of the circulars and thought I was making fabric out of it. Musicians - 'nuff said.

I am still toiling away on my Icarus Shawl.
Thousands of tiny stitches!

I made a mistake several inches ago. You can't see it in this picture, it's towards an edge. There is no way in hell I am ripping back to fix it. NO WAY. The yarn is sooo tiny it's like knitting with sewing thread. Progress is painfully slow. The last thing I want to do is frog any of it ever again. I've already played that game way too many times with this knit. So the mistake STAYS. But of course it is driving me bonkers. It taunts me regularly. I keep trying to tell myself that it's up high near the neck and only I will see it. But it's still taunting me.

On a slightly different note...

I used to know this woman who would always say that everyone needs something to look forward to. Everytime I saw her, she would ask me to list five things that I was looking forward to. Sometimes, it was very difficult to come up with five things! I haven't seen her in a few years, but I still think of the list of five things.

So here's my current list:

1. I'm going to see The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee in Baltimore with LL next week. Can't wait!

2. The Maryland Rennaisance Festival. A yearly tradition. I always go with a huge group of theatre people. (gotta love the group rate!) We drink a lot, we eat a lot, we laugh a lot. And no, we do not dress up. My favorite part of Ren Fest is when my friend Bunny gets drunk and runs through the maze singing "I Love You Baby!" at the top of his lungs. It's a highlight every year.

3. VA Fall Fiber Fest. It will be a very busy weekend for me since the fiber fest is the day after the ren fest. But I will drag my hungover ass out of bed for yarn! Though I MUST keep a tight rein on my wallet for this, I still want to go.

4. Fall. I am definitely looking forward to fall. It's my favorite time of year. I want the chill in the air, the leaves changing, the fall smells, pumpkins, apples, Halloween, all of it. I am done with summer!

5. Knit night. We just had one this past Monday and I'm already looking forward to the next one. I always look forward to seeing my knit girls!

Soo..... what are YOU looking forward to??

7 Comments:

Blogger KT said...

I agree, actors - 'nuff said. I've pretty much trained my cast and crew, and they mostly leave me and my knitting alone nowadays.

I cannot believe how quickly you make socks! Wow!

I'm sorry that the Elfines are such a disappointment for you. They look great in the pictures! I think, though, that it is a hard marriage between yarn and pattern for those, having started and frogged a couple pairs of them and not liking them.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

that's funny! i have the same theory about looking forward to things. i try to have big and little things on my "anticipation list."

right now i am looking forward to:

1. watching project runway tonight
2. finishing my simple knitted bodice
3. going to snb on saturday
4. receiving some packages that i know are on the way
and of course,
5. seeing the decemberists in concert on nov. 9!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel like dancin..dancin...

11:53 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

You know all my life I always tried to have something to look forward to...even if it is something as simple as reading a book when I come home from work...I didn't realize others did it too...cool!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to come to knit night too. I couldn't come to the last one because I had TONS OF HOMEWORK etc.

My friend was playing with one of my dpns while I was working on a sock, and this kid leaned over and said something, and then finished it with, "that... thing. What is that?" I looked at him and said, straight, "It's a knitting needle." He was really defensive.

They really do make me crazy, people who just don't know.

How's about that black chenielle!!!

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn those are some bright socks! I still like them, even if you are disappointed.

Here's my list so far:
1. Dogs. On my lap and on the floor. I love my dogs.
2. Fall. Right there withya babe. Cooler weather rocks.
3. Renn Fest. Haven't been in a few years and I want to go this year. I'm finally over all of my cast friends either moving away or dieing.
4. Coffee. Enough said.
5. Spinning night and knitting nights. Sanity savers.

Wow, now I have a smile on my face. I'm going to have to think of lists like that more often.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

the next time I can get down there to see you guys! :)

(the socks aren't so bad - bed socks is a good idea if they are a little big...)

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home