Saturday, September 01, 2007

How We Fared at the Fair
2095
It has been pretty crazy around here the past few weeks. I just finished two weeks of teching in two different shows at two different theatres. Happily, both shows are open and running. And both shows are really pretty good. Yay!

I managed to slip away to the Maryland State Fair last week to check on all our entries. I'm both happy and disappointed with my results. I was very excited that my Arwen sweater won a blue ribbon! That was very cool.
First Place Arwen!

I also got two honorable mention ribbons - one for my ant and one for my Embossed Leaves socks. The thing I was disappointed about was that my farm got nothing.
Down on the Farm
In retrospect, I think part of the problem was that I didn't really include anything Maryland specific. I probably should have thrown a MD flag on there or knit up a crab or something. Oh well. I'm bummed. I was also sad that my Spring Blossoms Shawl didn't place, but there seemed to be a fair amount of competition in the lace category.

The fair was good fun though. S. and I watched bull riding for a while. I would never have thought in a million years that I would be remotely interested in bull riding, but I gotta say - It's hypnotizing.

2086
It's crazy exciting because you are just waiting for someone to get their head smashed in. Violent and scary! One rider bashed his face against the bull and got knocked out cold and fell to the ground. It was terrifying! He eventually came to, got up and walked away.

Of course there was plenty of other non-violent activites too! I love looking at all the animals of course. And S's dad runs the Birthing Center at the fair, so we got to see all the baby animals that had just been born.
baby piggies

Aren't they so cute???

So, now that the fairs are over, I'm waffling between knitting projects. I finished my Montego Bay Scarf.
Finished Montego Bay Scarf
It is insanely loooong. Eventually I may try blocking it out to increase the width and decrease the length. But it is pretty!

For the past two days, I've been trying to start these socks. But the pattern is totally vexing me. I couldn't get the short row toe idea to work at all, so I finally gave up and just did my normal figure 8 cast-on for a toe up sock. But then I started having issues with the charted part. I've ripped it so many times, but I'm going to try again.

I'm also still working on my crocheted bag. If I actually put some effort into it, I could probaby finish it pretty quickly, but what with being in tech for two weeks, I haven't worked on it much!

I hope you all have a great holiday weekend!

(PS - Hi Eileen! It was great to see you the other night!!)

10 Comments:

Blogger aija said...

Congrats on the ribbons! I think your farm scene is adorable.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hi there. I came by way of Marks blog. What beautiful work you do! I'm jealous.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Yay for the ribbons! Sorry about your farm though. It's fantastic!

11:31 AM  
Blogger brsmaryland said...

Congrats on all of your ribbons! There usually is lots of competition at the state level and I like to think the judges really know what they are looking for. That makes the ribbons even more special!

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe your farm animals didn't win a prize! They are so cute!

You're Montego Bay scarf is beautiful! So how long is 'insanely loooong;? ;)

2:54 PM  
Blogger Pheelya said...

The scarf looks beautiful!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Your barn is the cutest thing ever! If they can't recognize genious when they see it - they don't deserve to be the same room as your barn :) So there!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Suzy's Corner said...

The farm scene is adorable. I wish I was as talented as you! Is it possible for you to tell me how you made the farm scene. I am thinking I would like to try something like that for my granddaughter to play with. I am a member of the Baltimore Meet-up group but have not been able to get there yet! :(

Thanks

Suzanne
http://suzy-qscorner.blogspot.com/

11:59 AM  
Blogger KT said...

Congrats on the ribbons! What a cool pic of the Ferris Wheel, too!

Two techs in two weeks, ugh! I hope you get to rest for a bit!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

congrats on Arwen!!!! Your farm is so cute!!! you'd get a blue ribbon from me!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home