Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Yes, I am still alive. I haven't posted in forever and I'm completely behind on my blog reading and commenting. I have survived yet another tech week and "Little Shop of Horrors" is happily open. Tech wasn't too hateful. It could have been worse! I don't really feel like the show is tight yet, but it's getting there and I think it has the potential to be good. On the plus side, it's funny and peppy and SHORT. And it's not a five month long run! HURRAY!

Since I haven't posted in forever, I do have a fair amount of knitting to show you. I finished up my stripey Trekking socks.
finished stripey socks

I didn't use any specific pattern. I just knit them toe up, magic loop, two at the same time. They are a little too 'roomy' but I like them anyways. I knit a heel flap on them - my first toe up heel flap. I basically did exactly what I would have done had I knit them cuff down.
heel closeup

Not the best picture, but hopefully, you get the idea. I am proud to say that these are the first pair of socks I have ever knit completely without a pattern or having to look up any instructions. I've done other socks without a pattern before, but I have always had to look up cast-ons or heel-turning instructions. I finally have the idea in my head!

After I finished the socks, I cast on for the Spring Blossoms Shawl pattern that I got at the Mannings.
Beginnings
The beginning of this shawl was a BITCH. I am not exaggerating when I say that it took me about three hours to get this started. You start the shawl with 8 stitches devided over four size 4 dpns. I kept losing track of which needle to knit next. I finally used colored markers to color code my dpns. That helped considerably, but I still had huge issues. Twisted stitches, dropped stitches, you name it - I messed it up. In my last post, I said I was hoping to use the brown tencel from the Mannings to knit this. I tried... really I did (many, many times), but it was too damn slippery. So I switched to the Jaggerspun 2/18 and I think it's going to be really pretty. I'm really excited about this project. Despite the rough start, it's been a lot of fun to knit. The only problem is finding time where I'm not distracted by other things to knit on it!

Since the shawl requires undivided attention, I needed another mindless sock pattern to knit. I started knitting the Go With the Flow socks from Favorite Socks, but I started them in a seriously multicolored Koigu and it just wasn't working out. So they have been ripped. Yesterday, I started the Embossed Leaves socks from the same book. I already knit a pair of these last spring, but I love this pattern so I'm making another pair.
embossed leaves again
I'm using Tess Supersocks and Baby that I got at MDS&W. I'm obsessed with knitting these. I started them yesterday and I've already turned the heel. Hopefully I will be done the first sock tomorrow.

I had one more FO to show you, but I can't find it at the moment. I finally made the bee! It's super cute. As soon as I manage to locate it, I will post pictures.

On a side note.... I just wanted to say hi to Trish. Sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to you! I miss you much! Also hi to Antonio! Thanks for commenting and checking out my blog!

And to Chuck... nope, not my birthday. My birthday is in December. I just got lots of presents because I have amazingly generous friends who actually seem to like me! (Despite anything you might say!)

12 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Wow - glow in the dark socks - awesome. I'm very impressed with your no-pattern sock knitting skills. I have yet to knit one sock from any pattern.

2:25 AM  
Blogger Pheelya said...

Cute socks! Both of them!

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how the blue stripes on your socks completely line up!

Cool embossed leaves.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Wow, way to go on the socks! totally without a pattern? AMAZING! :) they look great!

So, when are you casting on for the next sweater? :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

I love those Trekking socks!! How long did it take you to match up the stripes!!

I can't wait to see that shawl in person - it looks amazing!

Love the embossed leaves socks too!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Trish Watkins said...

Hey Colleen - thanks for the shout out - glad tech wasn't too bad for you - do you guys use the mirror ball in this production? I'm sure that nobody can lower it as well as I did - haha!!

I'll be in to see the show soon - hope to see you then!!

love ya!!

2:19 PM  
Blogger KT said...

Congrats on opening! I love Little Shop, even though it reminds me of many a night in the university costume shop, sewing plant pieces together...ah, the memories!

Love the socks - so colorful!

Circ shawls are hard to start, I agree!

4:32 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Those socks are so cool! And congrats on the socks from no pattern! :)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Who likes you?


(besides me, I mean...)


XOXOX

8:11 PM  
Blogger mainiax said...

I tagged you

7:27 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Great socks...love the colors!!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Those are some colorful socks!!! Congrats for knitting them without any pattern! (I still have to look when I turn the heel!)

The new socks are so pretty - leaves....

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home