Monday, July 02, 2007

Gettin' Crafty

Hi all!
It's been a while since I've written a decent post, so I figure I'm due for an update. Lots of crafty stuff going on over here. I'll start with the knitting since, hey - this is supposed to be a knitting blog!

I finished the first Embossed Leaves sock.
one down, one to go
Embossed Leaves

Love it! I love this pattern. It's really pretty easy and looks gorgeous. And what's better than Tess Super Sock? So pretty, and I like how elastic it is. The second sock has been cast on and I'm about 3/4 through the cuff. But it's kind of on hold at the moment because I'm trying to finish up a birthday present for my sister. Um... yeah, her birthday was a week ago. Um... yeah, I'm not done yet. No pictures yet because my sister stalks my Flickr account and quite possibly my blog!

I'm also paused on the Spring Blossom Shawl until I get the birthday present finished, which hopefully will be soon. I really don't have much left to do on the present. I'm looking forward to getting back to the shawl, and the sock for that matter!

On Saturday, I had breakfast with an old friend who presented me with this:

bag o' wool

It's a big bag o' pencil roving! And there's a chance for more where that came from. My friend's step-grandfather has all of his grandmother's knitting and spinning supplies (she is deceased) and is wanting to get rid of it all. So there may be more fibery goodness coming my way.

It has been a while since I tried my drop spindle, so I got it out and used some of that roving to make some yarn.
my own handspun

It's SO EASY to spin pencil roving! Who knew?? I'm not so good with spinning regular roving. I get frustrated very easily, but this was a piece of cake. My friend saw a picture of Pepe the Cow and wants me to make him one, so perhaps I will make a cow out of this handspun!

In other craftyness... I have been sewing - something else for me to obsess about! The ever talented Sarah and Jody helped me make my first box bag last week. (No picture because it's probably going to my sister with the knitted gift!) So of course I had to go make another one.
box bag
box bag

My seams are all kinds of wonky, but if you don't look at it too closely, it's not too bad! The fabric was a gift from Jody. (Thanks friend!) I want to make MORE!

I hope you all have a wonderful Independence Day. I haven't quite decided what my plans are for the day. I have a few options. I won't be going to DC this year. I haven't recovered from last year!

7 Comments:

Blogger chacha / Jen said...

Nice sock, chica... and congrats on the first box bag!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Pheelya said...

The sock looks grat! and I love the bag!! One of these days I'll get around to learning how to sew. Just what I need, another hobby!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

The sock is wonderful in that blue. Ahh, Tess is so great. Someone was recently talking about the dye coming off on their hands, but I have never had that problem. Did you?

I am making a sister birthday knit right now too!

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOOH, I LOVE your new boxbag!
And the tess socks came out AWESOME!!!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

very nice - the spinning, the box bag and that sock!!! love the Tess!!!!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

The sock is awesome - I just love that pattern. I need to make one for me!

And another box bag - look at you go!! It's awesome!!!

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow your bag looks great! I love that fabric too. I have been wanting to get sewing again and your bag is a great inspiration!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home