Sunday, July 16, 2006

Grrrrrr...

I'm starting to think that perhaps I am just not meant to finish a pair of Jaywalkers. I feel like I am totally messing up the heels on these. I'm doing what the toe up pattern says, but it just doesn't seem right. The sole seems to be getting too long. Maybe I made the sole too long before starting the heel, I don't know. As I've never done a heel like this before, I don't know if I'm doing it right. And, while working on them this afternoon, I dropped a whole bunch of stitches.
dropped stitches
I really don't feel like picking them back up again, so I think I'm going to rip back and do a short row heel. Stick with the familiar and I may actually get these done.

Yesterday, I got an email from a friend who suggested that I check out a podcast that she's been listening to. It's called Craft Sanity. I've only listened to one episode so far, but it seems pretty cool. For each episode, there is a craft project posted on the website, courtesy of the person being interviewed. So, I started poking around the website a bit, and there is an episode with the ever popular Brenda Dayne. (which I just decided to listen to while I blog...) The project for the Brenday Dayne episode is a pattern for socks! So, since I am completely frustrated with the damn Jaywalkers, I decided to immediately cast on. I am magic looping them and doing two at the same time using my very fabulous Pistachio Chip sock yarn from the very fabulous Mama E.
Mama E's Pistachio chip
Brenda's Socks

Aren't these colors AWESOME? I love how this is knitting up. And so far, the pattern is entertaining. I'm trying desperately to cable without a cable needle. It's slow going, but I'm hoping with practice I will get better at it. I keep dropping stitches.

Saturday I went to the Columbia International Festival. (I just searched for a website to link to, but oddly I cannot find one!) It was kind of disappointing. There were lots of vendors selling lots of jewelry. Nothing terribly interesting. I wasn't quite sure what made it an International festival, rather than just a craft show. I guess I expected some demonstrations of ethnic crafts or customs. There was none of that. The music was really good though. There was a salsa band playing while I was there that was very fun. I thought about camping out with my knitting and listening to the bands, but it was too HOT. I did take some pictures. The umbrellas were part of some art contest. I still haven't figured out - why umbrellas? But some of them were really cool.
African masks
umbrella art
umbrella art exhibit
around the world umbrella
around the world umbrella
extremely scary clown
pottery frog
when frogs attack

6 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

thanks for the podcast info, I'm going to give it a shot.

see you tonight!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Craft Sanity - what a great site! I haven't listened to the podcast yet but if it's as slick as the blog and the project page I'll subscribe. (Anything with Brenda Dayne has me hooked anyway) Thanks for the link.

11:05 AM  
Blogger aija said...

What a great name for that green & brown colorway! :)

Hope your jaywalker works out!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

It was great meeting you (though I'll look forward to getting to talk to you more if we switch up the seating at all next time)! Not sure I got to tell you in person, but I *love* that colorway, and those socks look great!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Thanks for the sock link! Another pattern to try!

Neat frogs and umbrellas!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

Oooh, the pistacio chip socks are gonna be so pretty!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home