Thursday, October 05, 2006

More obsessive knitting

There are babies in my life that I cannot knit for.

One of these babies has been on my mind quite a bit lately. (and just to be clear, no -I did not sneak out and give birth while you weren't paying attention - ever.) It occurred to me last night that there were plenty of other babies out there that I could knit for.
a trio of baby hats
top view of baby hats

In another spurt of insanity knitting, I made three baby hats in the past 24 hours. I made the yellow one last night when I got home from the Baltimore SnB. The blue one was created during my matinee this afternoon and the apple hat (my favorite) was born during my evening show.

Details....
The yellow hat is from a Kate Gilbert pattern that I don't remember purchasing, but was on my computer. In my typical way, I didn't read the directions and didn't realize that the hat was to be knit on 6 DPNS. I used 5 and so there are only 4 points on my star. But it came out ok anyways.
star hat
Pattern: Shining Star by Kate Gilbert
Needles: US6 DPNS bamboo... Clover, I think.
Yarn: um.... yeah... um...That right there is some Red Heart Super Saver. Aaacck! The dreaded acrylic!

Confession... see, back before I was a knitter, I was a crocheter. And when I was a crocheter, I got the brilliant idea to make a giant afghan that had pigs all over it it (for a friend with a pig fetish.) I bought way too much icky Red Heart, started the afghan, never finished it and even threw out the pieces of it that I had completed. Now the overflow of Red Heart is lingering in my "sub-stash." It's not even allowed to share space with the yummy wools I have in my real stash. I am blaming Amie for reintroducing icky Red Heart into my life. (See the black and pink blob in my last post for reference.)

I would like to take a moment to apologize to the baby who receives this hat. I'm sorry the yarn is scratchy and icky. Hopefully the fashion value and cuteness factors will override your discomfort. I can only hope that you outgrow it quickly.


Apple hat
Pattern: Becky's Preemie Fruit Orchard Hat
Needles: US 6 DPNS and a crochet hook
Yarn: Lionbrand Wool-ease and scraps of Cascade 220 (Wool-ease also from "sub-stash" and crocheting days.)

Again, I apparently did not use the correct number of DPNS. The pattern doesn't specify, but by the end of the pattern I got the impression I was supposed to be using 4. Of course I was actually using 5. So this hat is not really preemie sized. But it is definitely baby sized and super cute. I had left the pattern at home when I was making this. But I remembered that it said that the leaves were crocheted. I have no idea how I was supposed to make them, I just made them up myself. Wool-ease is not a bad yarn in my opinion. I have contemplated using it to make my first sweater someday.

2 baby hats
Blue hat
Pattern: a modification to the Fruit Orchard hat
Needles: US 6 DPNS
Yarn: Caron's Simply Soft

My modification is that I just made a longer icord at the top of the hat and tied it in a knot. And the incorrect number of DPNS were used again!

I am fan of Caron's Simply Soft. For an acrylic yarn, it knits up nicely and really is very soft. Perfect for baby.

All three hats will be donated. There is a charity knitting event happening in Columbia next weekend, I plan on dropping them off there. I figure this was a good place to channel my obsessiveness. And since they were ridiculously quick and easy knits, I may just have to make more.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the 4 pointd star, it looks like a flower.
Thanks for sharing the hilariousness that is knitting every hat with the wrong number of needles. It made me chuckle.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

how cute are those!!!! Such productive little fingers you've had! I like the 4 pointed star hat - you'd never know it should have been 5!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Sara Kirby said...

Those hats are adorable! Good job. I wish I had a baby to make stuff for, er, I mean, I wish someone had a baby I could make stuff for. Hmmm?

Anyway, super job! Do you think the apple one would look silly on a grown up? J/K

9:56 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Are there ever any speed knitting contests, cause you would be a serious contender. The hats are all really cute. I am sure the people who get them will be enchanted.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

I resent being blamed for your secret love of Red Heart. It's not my fault you begged and pleaded to knit with black and day-glo pink, while I chose a sensible WoolEase. Maybe if you'd continued on with your molecular engineering degree from your upstate NY college you'd have known better. Sure, they wouldn't have named the theatre degree at WMC in your honor, but then how big a deal is that, really?

(go ahead. Try to make stuff up. I promise I can get way more absurd.)

XOXOX

2:20 PM  
Blogger Jolene said...

Very Cute Hats!
The apple hat is really super cute.
I am so glad that you didn't make a baby wear the black and day glo pink yarn blob thingy.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home