Saturday, November 18, 2006

Bad blogger

so um... I said I was going to post on Thursday, and yeah.. um that didn't happen! My show opened Thursday afternoon. When it was over, I came home and crawled in bed. I didn't get up until Friday! So, no Thursday post. Or Friday for that matter! I've just been too exhausted.

I spent the week here...
Baltimore house
Baltimore stage

(pardon the blur... my camera doesn't seem to like taking indoor pictures.)

Despite a really hateful tech week, the show had a fairly decent opening. No major train wrecks, the audience seemed to really enjoy it, a good time was had by all. But I was sooo glad when that curtain call was over! Everyone had been so stressed out and evil all week, I was really happy to get away from them all. Again I say... the best part about working there: I open the show and I LEAVE.

Leaving actually proved to be quite a challenge. Baltimore got hit by a serious storm. I walked 20 feet from the door of the theatre to my car and was soaked through. I couldn't believe how hard the rain was coming down. I got in my car and tried to maneuver my way home, but it was really scary. I couldn't see anything except rain. Sheets and sheets of it. Fortunately, the further south I drove, the storm lightened up. By the time I was back home, the skies looked like this:
beautiful skyafter the storm

My pictures aren't even close to showing how beautiful it was. In the bottom picture, the clouds were actually a really dark orange. Just gorgeous.

I almost forgot...
I meant to tell you all about my trip to see Altar Boyz. As I mentioned before, I was offered free tickets to the show. Sadly, the show wasn't selling at all. So, I invited the ever fabulous Erin to be my date for the evening.
Mama E

After a few beers and dinner, we headed to the theatre.
Hippodrome

To my surprise, we were in the very front row. (many thanks to producer Ken Davenport for the tickets. Apparently, he is a fan of my blog - HAAAAAAA!!!)

The show was a delight. It's about a Catholic boy band. The boys are Matthew, Mark, Luke, Jose and Abraham. It was funny, upbeat, totally toe tapping and rocking. And did I mention funny? It turned out that I actually knew the guy playing Abraham, Nick Blaemire. I was so impressed with him. He did a great job. They did some hard core dancing in the show, so much energy it was crazy.

After the show, Erin and I went to the stage door to see Nick. There was this crazy stalker groupie waiting for the boys. She was seriously a loon. She's seen the tour something like 8 times and saw the NY production 33 times. I have to say that the cast showed a lot of patience and grace in dealing with her cause she was clearly crazy. At one point she said to one of the guys "You have to hug me, I won't see you for a while!" Then Erin said "well, I won't see you either!" And he hugged her too. It was pretty funny.

So, if Altar Boyz comes to a town near you - go see it. It really is quite good. And it is extremely sad to me that it was selling so poorly. I heard that the Hippodrome had to cancel the first week of the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels tour due to poor sales too. If the Hippodrome can't sell tickets, what hope to smaller theatres like ours have? Go support live theatre people!

I guess I should get around to some knitting content, huh? I'm feeling like I'm in a bit of a slump. I am still working on the Hedera socks, but it's kind of a chore. First of all, I am having a lot of trouble with my hands. I don't know if it was the endless hours of programming the light board or what, but my fingers have been so painful lately. My wrist was bothering me the week before that, but thankfully that has eased up a bit. So, I've been taking it a bit slow with the knitting lately. However, I do have a progress shot for you...
hederas on a light board
Hedera socks modeled by the lighting board. I've actually made a bit more progress since I took this picture but I'm still not done with the decreases from the gusset. I really want to get these done soon so I can get back to the Icarus shawl. I'm still laboring under the delusion that I may actually complete both the socks and the shawl by Christmas.

It may be a bit before I can post again as I am headed straight back into tech rehearsals next week. We are opening a show on Thanksgiving Day. Always a treat. Then I will be heading to my Aunt and Uncle's house to suffer through the family dinner. Is it bad that I'd much rather come home and eat leftovers than have to deal with my family? Actually, to be fair, I am looking forward to seeing the cousins. Other than that - coming home is much more appealing.

Unfortunately, due to tech week, I'm not going to be able to make it to Knit Knite. Sad, sad, sad!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, sorry to hear about your tech schedule! That sucks!

And yeah, I hear ya about the ticket sales recently. People need to stop watching the crap that's on tv nowadays and go watch something decent at a real theater!

2:09 AM  
Blogger aija said...

What a great color choice for Hedera!

2:39 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Your cloud pics are great! The sun made a dramatic entrance here too, but I could only focus on how sparkly the trees were then.

I hope your tech week goes well. We'll miss you tomorrow night (assuming I make it - hah!) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ew, why on earth would a show open on a national holiday?

The socks are hot, though. More tech week love!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Great cloud pics - I think the sky is so pretty after a huge storm like that. We drove through it when it hit up here and it was horrible!

The socks look great!

Good luck on the next in-progress show - fingers crossed all goes smoothly!

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home