Sunday, October 15, 2006

Stealth Knitting

I haven't been able to post about my knitting this week because I was making this:

Shedir hat

as a birthday gift for my friend Mama E:

Erin in her Shedir hat

It's Shedir from the special Fall 2004 Knitty issue. I had been wanting to try this pattern for a while - and who better to make it for than my friend Erin! Somewhere in the past few days, I have successfully lost the label for the yarn and so I can't remember what kind of yarn it is! But I can tell you that it is a cotton tweed. The hat was knit on US size 3 needles. And I made a few modifications. I twisted all of the knit stitches (knit through the back loop.) I really like how the twisted knit stitches make the cables pop. I didn't do all the pattern repeats - I think I did three instead of five. It just seemed like that hat would be way too big with all the repeats. (Gauge? What gauge??) I was having a really hard time with the "purl 2 together through the back loop" stitches, so I just gave up and purled two together. This turned out to be a really challenging knit for me. But it was definitely worth it! I'm happy with how it turned out, and Erin says she loves it!

I gave Erin her gift at her FABULOUS S&B Yarn Swap Birthday Party! I think it's safe to say that we all had a blast.

There were friends
Jolene, Amie and Jen
Jolene, Amie, and Jen


Hi Lolly!
Lolly

Erin and Eunny and a pumpkin
Erin and Eunny

There was yarn cake (made by Amie - so cute and so yummy!)
yarn cake
yarn cake 2

There was knitting
Jen doing a little knittin

There was wine
the party's over

No really! There was wine! I swear!

And there was some serious YARN SWAPPING!
yarn swap

Check out that pile!

I was thinking "oh this is great! I'll be able to thin out my stash a bit!" Then of course, I came home with this:
My haul
I brought 10 skeins and came home with 10 skeins. So much for thinning...
If you click on the picture, I labeled what everything is.

Many thanks to CAm for having this great party and inviting us all to her gorgeous house. Great food, great fun!

And one last time....
Happy Birthday Erin! XOXOXOXO

7 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

that looks like a fun party! my knitting group has been talking about having a yarn swap...i think i may get cracking on planning that. :)

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wore the hat all day yesterday! Thanks friend.... it is an incredible knit and I am honored to be the recipient!
Love you!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

That yarn cake is awesome...great idea!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Kucki68 said...

I love Shedir. I am looking forward to wearing my poison green one again this winter.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SUCH A CUTE HAT! Your shedir came out so much better than the (Lame) one I knit, pre-blogging days.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Looks like you had a great time!!!! Nice little haul you brought back!

1:43 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

it looks like you guys had loads of fun. love the yarn cakes and the hat. nice work.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home