Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Acting On Impulses

So here's what I've been up to the past few days....

SATURDAY

Knight in shining armor

No, that is not me under all that armor! Saturday, went to the Maryland renaissance Festival. A yearly tradition. Drank too much beer, ate too much food on sticks. More pics here.

SUNDAY
Worked all day. A necessary evil.

MONDAY
Great Falls, Potomac River.  Maryland side.

Decided to head to Great Falls for the day. It's one of my absolute favorite places in the DC area. It was the perfect day for it. I went to the Maryland side, though I really love the Virginia side too. There are beautiful parks on both sides of the river, in both states - each with spectacular views. I walked along the C&O Canal and just enjoyed the beautiful weather and scenery. I even brought some knitting! It was a really nice escape. More pictures here.

TUESDAY



I woke up this morning and for some strange reason, my first thought was ZOO! So I hopped the Metro and headed into DC. How cute are those pandas??? That is Tai Shan, the new baby panda and his mom Mei Xiang. SOOO CUTE! I stood and watched them for over an hour. Endlessly entertaining. They are opening a new Asia exhibit at the zoo next week. The pandas will have a brand new habitat. I will definitely be going back! Way back, many many years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, (um... 1972 to be exact) I remember when the zoo was given Hsing Hsing and Ling Ling. My family lived in New York state back then, but my parents brought me here to DC just to see them. I was OBSESSED with them. I had panda toys and tee shirts and posters - all the cool panda swag. Well, after watching Tai Shan today, my love has been renewed! So damn cute!

I hadn't been to the zoo in forever. I couldn't believe how much it has changed. They have done a lot of great renovations and updates. I was really impressed. But I kept getting lost - it is a BIG zoo! I used to know my way around there, but so much has changed!

check those choppers!

I even got to watch this guy pick food out of a hippo's teeth! It was kind of funny. The guy kind of splashed his hand in the water, the hippo swam right up to the edge. The guy said "c'mon, open up!" and the hippo happily did so!

hungry hungry hippo
He's not nearly as cute as Tai Shan, but still... pretty cute!

More zoo pictures here!

and one more here....
oops!
heeeee!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Great Shots! I love Medieval Fairs - men in metal suits knocking each other off horses. Any beheadings?

5:32 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

what a great couple of days! I'll have to check out the link to Great Falls - it looks beautiful!

we have King Richards Faire up here - same idea - beer, people in armor and food on sticks (or HUGE turkey legs!) All good fun...

10:26 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Cool! I am going to the zoo a week from Friday. I want to see the sloth baby.

I was at the Faire on Sunday with like everyone else in the area. It was packed. Lots of guys in kilts though. Nice.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Aren't you little miss get up and go! I'm glad someone's been out and about enjoying this beautiful weather.

6:28 PM  
Blogger KT said...

Pandas! How fun! Sounds like a very fun weekend!

My word verification is pwrwrm, does that make anyone else think power worm??

3:18 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I thought the picture of Great Falls looked backwards, but then I realized that I've only been on the VA side :) I'll never tire of Tai Shan's adorable, mischievous ways.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno...hippos are kinda cute. Especially when they follow directions. But that video of the pandas, its priceless. Looks like that mama has SOME itch!

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home