Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Aaaaaaahhh

december at the beach

It was perfection. I arrived at my sister's house very late, or very early I guess - 2:00 a.m. Saturday morning. I got up with the sun Saturday. Every room at the house has HUGE bay windows, so basically, when the sun is up - you are up! (thought I discovered on my as I was leaving to come back home that there were actually blinds on my window that I could have pulled down!)

I drove into Rehoboth and had breakfast at a little diner on the the main street. Then I just wandered around Rehoboth for a little while. I was really surprised at how many of the shops were actually open. Most of the tacky beachy shops were all boarded up, but the little specialty gift shops were open. I guess they were open for the Christmas shopping season.

Then I headed to the beach. It was a beautiful day, but really chilly.
empty beach
Looking North on Saturday

rehoboth beach, DE
Looking South on Sunday.

You will notice that there are NO other people on the beach. Anywhere! I had the whole beach to myself! It was incredibly peaceful.

After visiting the ocean for a bit, I headed back into town. I was hoping to go here:

Knitty Gritty
That's Knitty Gritty of Rehoboth. And it was CLOSED. I was very sad! There was a sign in the window that said "we will be closed Monday, December 4." Um... Ok... How about Saturday, December 2?? It was supposed to be open!

After my yarn store disappointment, I went back to the house. I spend the afternoon watching movies, knitting, and enjoying the incredible view.
sunset on rehoboth bay

In the late afternoon, I headed to Lewes, DE. I hadn't been there in years. It's a cute little seaside town with lots of nice shops and restaurants.
lewes, DE

So I'm strolling past a little antique store when I see this:
Yarns for sale!  Yay!

And in the window, I see this:
knitting window display

Yarn for sale?? why yes thank you, I think I will!

SCORE!

In the back of this little antique store was a yarn shop!!! Huzzah!

Ginger Moon yarns

How cute is this place?? It's Ginger Moon yarn shop. I was greeted by Betty who I stupidly did not take a picture of. Betty was (according the shop owner) a Jackuaua - part Jack Russell Terrier and part chiuaua. Whatever she was, she was very cute. She obviously thought that everyone who came in the shop was there just to see her!

I figured since I was on vacation, so I could buy myself a little present or two, right?
Wool in the woods
Wool in the Woods in colorway High Sierra.
I need more yarn! really I do!

Scarfstyle
I've been coveting this book for awhile, so I finally bought it.

After a quick stop into a coffee shop for a mocha latte, I staked out a spot on the street to wait for the Lewes Christmas Parade!
Lewes Christmas parade

So cute! I had such a great time! It was surprisingly long. I think every fire engine, scout troupe, and church on the Eastern seaboard participated in the parade. But the thing I truly loved about it was the small town feel. It was such a cozy, quaint and festive atmosphere. My camera does not like to take night shots, so these pics are a little hard to see, but trust me - super cute!

I drove back to Rehoboth feeling very festive and Christmassy. It was still fairly early, so I went to the Rehoboth Boardwalk to see the Christmas lights there.
Rehoboth Boardwalk at Christmas time

(by the way.... note to Ava, I am using Flickr Toys to make these mosaics!)

A quick stop to buy a bottle of wine, and I headed back to the house. I had some pizza, drank some wine, knitted a bit and watched some mindless TV.

Sunday was very quiet. I went and got some coffee and breakfast, wandered the beach a bit, wandered the shops again and then went back to the house. I had contemplated going to some of the Rehoboth outlets, but they were insanely busy. I decided to continue with my peaceful weekend and avoid the Christmas shopping frenzy. I spent the rest of Sunday just hanging out at the house. It was wonderful.

It was so painful to have to leave. I did not want to come back! I definitely like the beach in December. It's an entirely different experience than the beach in August.

Fortunately my sister just said to me on the phone "You can use the house anytime you want!"

Yahoooooo!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo, sounds like a perfect weekend! Glad you got the peace you deserve after that crazy Thanksgiving schedule!

You'll love Scarf Style!

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Coleen what a nice little vacation. I love the beach in the winter.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Bliss! (and thanks for the flikr tip, I had wondered that too.)

7:52 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

see, i told you the beach was awesome in the off season.

9:04 PM  
Blogger brsmaryland said...

Sounds like a great winter beach retreat. The beach really is pretty in the wintertime. And no crowds - great! Glad you had a nice time. And what a nice sister.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, that *is" perfection, that's for sure! Looking at your beach photos, my heart started to howl - I'd SO love to be there! What a wonderful time it seems you had, and you deserved it so much! Thanks for sharing your impressions and those amazing photos!

4:04 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Ginger Moon was the shop you found for me on the internet before my trip to Lewes in August. Isn't it cute? I'm glad it was open. Sounds like a fabulous getaway!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

what a great weekend!!! Nice to be there when there aren't tons of people ruining your great beach views!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Awesome find - a new knit hop to visit! And what better location than at the beach! Roadtrip!!

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home