Thursday, February 08, 2007

cinderella's castle

Hi Honey! I'm Home!

My fabulous Disney trip is over and I am home. We had a BLAST. Sooo much fun. But way too short! We did so much, and I still feel like there was a lot I missed. Disney has gotten so huge, you really need at least a week to appreciate it all. But we did our best to stuff as much fun into four days as we possibly could!

Our hotel was amazing - The Yacht Club. It was a very short walk to Epcot. Which is where we went the minute after we got in our room! Our first day, we did a few quick rides in Epcot and then headed to MGM for dinner. We had dinner at The Brown Derby - it was really yummy! After dinner, both my sister and my niece decided to go back to the hotel and go to bed, but I was still wide awake and wanting to play. So I went to the Fantasmic show which was super cool. It's fireworks, explosions, fountains going crazy, Mickey and all his friends, boats, stunt shows, and cartoons.

It was still really early after the Fantasmic show, so I headed back to Epcot to see the Illuminations show. Illuminations used to be my absolute favorite Disney show, but they changed it and I don't think it is nearly as cool as it used to be. But it was still a lot of fun. After the show, I wandered around Epcot and went on some rides.

Disney has this awesome thing now called Extra Magic Hours. Every day, a different park either opens three hours early or closes three hours late - and if you are a resort guest, you get to take full advantage of these extra hours. I stayed at Epcot till midnight and I felt like I had the park to myself. I was able to hop on rides with no lines. It was awesome and I was kind of bummed that my sister and niece weren't there to enjoy it with me. But it was also very cool to be by myself!

Saturday, we headed to the Magic Kingdom. My niece went on Space Mountain for the first time. She was so funny about it. She was absolutely terrified to get on it, but two seconds into the ride she kept saying "I wanna go on this AGAIN!!"

We went to visit Mickey. I've been to Disney four times and I had never met Mickey before. And surprisingly, I saw A LOT of Mickey over four days. He used to be much harder to find.

Mickey and friends
You might notice that my sister is wearing Icarus! She loves it and wears it almost every day!

Our best day was Sunday. We went to Animal Kingdom, which is such an amazing park. It doesn't feel like an amusement park at all. The landscaping and all the animals make it so peaceful and beautiful.
tree of life

Our first order of business for the day was Expedition Everest!!!
expedition

This is Disney's latest roller coaster. My niece was scared to death to go on it. She wanted my sister and I to go on it first and come back and tell her all about it. But the line was crazy long, so we told her she had to come with us. She was interviewing everyone in line about the ride. She asked the people working there for full descriptions of what happened on the ride. She was a mess. Finally, one of the park people told her that it was no higher than Space Mountain and that calmed her down a bit. And I am proud to say, she went on it! And of course, her first word after the ride was "AGAIN!" It really was sooo fun!

While we were in line, my sister pointed out these knit items that were hanging from the ceiling.
socks
gloves at disney
Knitting fun in Disney!

Instead of waiting in that huge line again, we got fast passes to come back later. While we waited, we went to Flights of Wonder which is a live bird show that I absolutely love.
owl and parrot
I don't think my sister or my niece really wanted to go to it, but once they did, they had a blast. I got to be a volunteer. They made me stand up and hold a dollar bill up in my hand. A giant bird flew from the stage, landed on my arm and took the dollar bill. He then flew back to the stage and tucked the dollar in the guy's pocket. Then they told me to hold my palm up and the bird flew back and put the dollar right in my hand again. It was good fun. My sister got some cool pictures, but she hasn't sent them to me yet!

All weekend long, I had a bad cough, but I felt fine so I tried to ignore it. Unfortunately, on Monday, our last day, the cough turned into a raging cold. My voice was completely gone and I felt HORRIBLE. I managed to drag myself to MGM and had a good time going on some rides, but my energy died early. My sister felt like she had hit the wall too, so we headed back to the hotel and hung out in the lobby until it was time to leave for the airport.

I'm still battling the cold, but I started feeling better today, so hopefully it will go away soon!

If you have any interest in the rest of my vacation picks, you can view a slideshow here.

As for knitting, I didn't get as much done as I thought I would. I made good progress on my second PPS though. Happily, there weren't a lot of lines to wait in, so my "waiting in line knitting" was minimal. I did have a really funny conversation with a guy in line for Pirates of the Caribbean. He had a thick Jersey accent and wanted to know what the heck I was doing with "all those sticks!" He kept asking detailed questions about how did I make cables and how did I know how to knit that particular pattern and how could I knit standing up(???!). But it's really hard to explain such things to a non-knitter, most especially a guy! My sister took off her Icarus shawl and showed it off to him too. He was suitably impressed!

So, now it's back to the real world. But I came back with some awesome memories!

4 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

it looks like you had a blast!!!! I'm always amazed how Disney changes over the years....i bet they have multiple Mickeys - makes him easier to find! :) Hope you feel better - no fun flying with a cold!

2:01 PM  
Blogger KT said...

That first pic of the castle is awesome! So glad you had such fun!

2:39 PM  
Blogger GinaChick said...

Yessss! Your Disney recap was awesome and it made me want to go so badly!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Glad you had such a great time. I hope your cold is all gone by now!

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home