Thursday, February 01, 2007

Who knew?

I just went to the grocery store to get some sinus meds because I am feeling a little snorfy. (Snorfy - it's a medical term meaning "congested.") Who knew that you have to get Advil Cold and Sinus at the pharmacy counter? AND, you have to show ID to get it. AND they copied down my name and address. It was so strange. I have the sniffles for crying out loud - I'm not trying to buy crack!

Anyhoooo...
I have been a terrible negligent blogger of late. I had two tech weeks in a row. We reopened "Buddy" in the Columbia space and then opened "The Full Monty" at the Baltimore space. Both shows are good fun. I even really enjoy The Full Monty despite the fact that people I have known for years get naked in it. MY EYES!! MY EYES!!! I brought Amie with me on opening night and she wrote a great review of the show on her blog.

During tech for Monty, I started a new knit...
Picovoli


It's my very first garment! It's Picovoli from Magknits, knit with all that Debbie Bliss Cashmerino I just bought. I am praying it fits. I am sooo not good with the whole gauge idea. And my math deficiency doesn't help at all. But so far, it's going ok. And I suppose I will take it off the needles soon and try it on. I'm a little concerned that it's not going to fit over my large chestyness. At Knitnite the other night, Amie gave me a little tutorial on doing some short row bust increases. The tutorial even came with visual aids.

Amie's drawings

I was quite amused to notice that if you turned it upside down, her breast drawing oddly resembled Bart Simpson.

Amie's drawing

hee hee hee!

I'm hoping that if I can manage the Picovoli, I will start my first sweater. The yarn finally arrived in the mail.
sweater yarn
That's Ram Wools Selkirk. I got a really great deal on it - they were having a sale. The color in the picture isn't really true. It's darker, more of a wine color - really pretty. I love it. I think it is going to knit up beautifully. It's not so soft right now, but the label claims that it will soften with each washing. I'm looking forward to working with it, but I'm trying to be good and finish the Picovoli first.

Last night, Jolene and I traveled to the Textile Museum in DC for a reception for Caps to the Capital. If anyone was ever unsure about the generosity and kindness of knitters, this event certainly proved it. Caps to the Capital collected 288,000 caps for underprivileged babies around the world. 288,000. WOW.

soooo many caps!

Look at all those bags of caps!!!

They had a selection of caps on display at the museum - some from every state in the country.
More caps
caps
DC caps
Maryland caps
caps
barnyard caps
So cute and creative. And such an amazing outpouring of support.

A local radio program did a great story about Caps to the Capital - you can listen to it here.

I kept looking at all those caps and imagining all the babies that would wear them. I feel lucky to have contributed.


So.....

Tomorrow...

I'm going to DISNEYWORLD!!! We were originally supposed to leave today. I'm not really sure why the plans changed, but I think my sister had to work today. We will be staying at the Disney Yacht Club. It looks amazing! sooooo excited! I promise to torture you all with lots of pictures when I get back.

I think I'm going to leave the Picovoli at home and bring a smaller project with me. I finally cast on for the second Pembrokshire Pathways sock. (I can't seem to bring up the webpage, so I can't link to it.) This will be my "waiting in line" and "airplane" project. I'm going to throw some more sock yarn in my bag just in case I finish the sock before my vacation time is over (unlikely, but possible.) I figure I can always work on a simple pair of socks if I finish the PPS quickly.

Well, I'm going to go pack. Please think "Good Weather" thoughts for me as it is supposed to rain in Orlando every day I'm there! Not to mention the snow and ice we are supposed to get here in Maryland that could interfere with my flight.

See you next week!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I love Picovoli - it's my favourite pattern and a good one to start with - no seams to sew up and you can try it on as you go.
Beautiful colour.

6:24 PM  
Blogger chacha / Jen said...

I love the "let's make people buying cold and allergy medicine feel like criminals" approach that most of the stores have taken. That's what I get to go through when I want to get my Sudafed decongestant + antihistamine combo.

Love the Rams Wool Selkirk! Do you have a pattern in mind for it?

Have a fantastic time at Disney World!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

So many things - first off, that is GREAT about the Caps project! What a great collection. Did you enjoy the Museum?

I love Picovoli too, and that color is just great! It will look so pretty on you!

Have a blast at Disney, girl! Enjoy yourself ;)

7:54 PM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Have a magical time! I'm hoping whatever precip we get tonight doesn't slow you down tomorrow.

8:59 PM  
Blogger KT said...

Ooo! What pretty colors of yarn! Both the Picovoli yarn and the new Rams Wool!

Safe travels and have fun!!

4:16 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Yay - your first garment!!! the color is great! Have a great time - even if it is a little rainy, at least it will be warm!!!

I love that sock - I have it on my (way too long) to knit list...the color you did yours in is awesome!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Your Picovoli is coming out great! Love the "visual aid" from Amie - hehehe

I forgot you're going to Disney - have fun and say hi to Goofy for me!

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaahh, looking at all those caps definitely warms the heart.
Your Picovoli will look stunning! Great colour.

1:56 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

hey coleen, send me your address. i know i had it here, but i can't find it.

11:08 AM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

Goo luck with the picovoli (it's the same here with sinus meds too).
Hope you had a great time in Disneyland!!

2:57 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Yay for picovoli! I hope you are feeling better soon! Being snorfy sucks!! ;)

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home