Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Bingle Jells

I have decided that my favorite day of the year is December 26th. Ya know why? Because it is OVER! I really don't mean to sound like Scrooge here, but Christmas seriously stresses me out and knowing that I don't have to deal with it again for an entire year is really comforting!

It wasn't all bad. On the 23rd, I went out to dinner with an old friend of mine whom I hadn't seen in quite a while. We went to the Hampden area of Baltimore to see the 34th Street Christmas lights. I have mentioned before that I LOVE Christmas lights. I had never been to 34th Street before and it was everything I had hoped for and more! It is an entire block of houses that goes completely INSANE with lights for the holidays. I loved every excessive, tacky, glowing, electric inch of it!
34th Street in Hampen
Christmas lights insanity
inflatable Christmas
For more pictures click here.

So much fun! After dinner, we drove back to Columbia and went to The Symphony of Lights which is a drive thru Christmas lighting display. My friend had never been before and we had a great time.

I spent most of Christmas Eve desperately trying to finish Icarus. I finally conceded defeat somewhere around midnight. I just couldn't get it finished. And I was doing serious damage to my hands. They were both really painful and my thumbs were getting really tingly so I knew I needed to stop. So on Christmas Day, I showed my sister the picture of the finished shawl in Interweave and then showed her my progress so far. She is extremely excited about it and was very understanding about it not being finished yet. And she LOVED the Hedera socks I made for her! I love knitting for her because she is truly appreciative.

My sister left today on vacation, so I have some time to get Icarus finished. I only have about 10 more rows of the last chart and then the edging and finishing to do. But I'm going to take my time to finish it. I don't want to screw up my hands any more than they already are! Tingly thumbs are more than a little scary.

As for Christmas, yes it was pretty damn stressful, but there were some good things. I got some really great gifts.
Christmas books
More Christmas books

I have been pouring over these books ever since I got them. The Victorian Lace book is gorgeous. There are so many beautiful patterns in it. As soon as I recover from Icarus, I'm certain I will be choosing something from this book to make. Supposedly, there is another book on it's way - it was on back order, so hopefully I'll have it soon.

Christmas dinner was an event. We were supposed to go to some fancy schmancy restaurant for dinner. My sister had made a reservation over the internet. Well, when she called on Christmas day to confirm, they didn't answer the phone. (I'm sure you can see where this is going...) So, she and I drove to the restaurant and sure enough, it was closed. (my sister: "I swear I got a confirmation email!!!") So, we drove around until we found something that was open on Christmas Day. We had a very merry Malaysian Christmas dinner! It was really yummy but I'm quite certain that my parents were fairly irked at the situation. Ah well! Wouldn't be Christmas in my family if someone wasn't irked about something!

I hope all of you had a delightful holiday, no matter which one you celebrate. Hopefully your days were filled with lots of knitterly goodness!

I wish everyone a Happy New Year! I will be celebrating New Year's back at the beach for four glorious days!

8 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

woot books!
Also, Malaysian Christmas dinner sounds yummy. Perhaps you should make it a tradition?

7:10 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I'm with ya. Thank goodness it's a whole year until Christmas rears it's head again! The lights are so pretty - i love the tacky stuff - so fun! Malaysian Christmas - at least you found somewhere to eat! We had Chinese...

glad your sis understood - mine is the same way - she just loves ANY knitting I do for her, even if it's not done on time. Save your hands - no point ruining them by rushing!

Yay books - lots of good ones there....

9:18 AM  
Blogger KT said...

Huzzah for knitting books! And bigger huzzahs for vacations for New Years! I hope your hands feel better soon!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Those books look awesome..never saw those!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great haul - these books look fantastic! Have fun with them! I also so enjoyed your XMas pics - thanks for sharing!
Happy New Year, and all the very best to you and your family!

4:36 AM  
Blogger Lia said...

You're the winner of my Caps to the Capital drawing!

Hop on over to my Xanga blog, and check out the goodies, then email me with your contact info!
http://www.xanga.com/FruitySheep

6:19 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Those are some awesome books - I have the Victorian Lace book too and can't wait to try one of them!

I bet your sis will love Icarus - no matter when she gets it!

Hope you had fun at the beach!

4:10 PM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

Awesome books! I haven't seen the top two before!

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home