Monday, January 08, 2007

Happy Y2K7!

Ok, I'm a little late wishing you all a Happy New Year! I've been wanting to blog for awhile, but just couldn't get myself together to do it. Combination of lazy and busy.

I hope you all had a grand time ringing in the new year. I am happy to say that I had an extremely quiet New Year's Eve hanging out at my sister's beach house. It was heaven. I brought The Poodle with me this time and had a blissful 4 day long vacation from the real world.
Sunset on Rehoboth Bay

I was really surprised how many people were in Rehoboth for the holiday weekend. There were actually people on the beach! Lots of people!

The Poodle was not too thrilled with the whole trip. She didn't like the house at all. I think she was upset about not being in her own familiar surroundings. She especially hated the stairs and completely refused to go down them. (very steep and hard wood, so very slippery.) I had to carry her. And then on our last day there, she fell in the fish pond in front of the house. I was so bummed I didn't have my camera because she looked so pissed off! But despite her distaste for the house, she LOVED the beach. I had never taken her to the beach before. She never stopped wagging her tail. So cute!

Of course there was a fair amount of knitting while I was away. I diligently worked on Icarus. I finished working the final chart and went to get the instructions for finishing the shawl when I realized I forgot to bring the directions with me! ARGGGGH!!! I was so pissed! It was my goal, to finish the damn shawl while at the beach. Luckily, I had brought some other things to work on, but I was so irritated with myself for forgetting.

But....

I am delighted to announce....

ICARUS IS FINISHED!!!!

Tada!

Completed Icarus
Icarus
icarus detail

Here are some pictures of it blocking. (Sorry for the horrendous color contrast between my red bed sheets and the purple shawl!)

icarus blocking
blocking detail
Icarus blocking

Icarus Shawl
IK Summer 2006
Needles: US size 3 Addis Turbos circs
Yarn: 100% Cashmere laceweight from School Products
Started: October 2006 (not sure of exact day!)
Finished: January 6, 2007

This shawl is GORGEOUS! I am so happy about how beautifully this turned out. It is definitely my favorite thing I have ever knit. But sadly, I have to give it away! This is a belated Christmas gift for my sister and she is very anxious to get it. I sent her pictures of it and she saw it in progress so she can't wait to see it in person. I know that she will love it and truly appreciate it, but it is definitely hard to have to give it away!

I got so sick of working on this. I hated the endlessness of the first chart, but really - it's beautiful and worth the effort. I had a hard time blocking it because it was bigger than my bed. But I made it work and I love it.

I finished Icarus just in time to show it off to the knit girls. I had some friends over for a post holiday knitting party at my house this past weekend. I had a blast. I hope they did too!
Knitting at my house
knit girls
knitting party

So, I'm currently working on a pair of Jaywalkers - a little mindless knitting to pass the time until I decide on my next big project. I think I'm going to choose something from Victorian Lace Today, but I need to give my hands a break before starting anything too challenging.

12 Comments:

Blogger Diane Doran said...

Thanks for having us over - it was just what the doctor ordered! The shawl is even more stunning in person. How did I miss when Amie started doing the wave?

6:12 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Icarus is beautiful! And so is the beach sunset (sunrise?) picture. There is no way my work holiday pary on Saturday was even half as fun as a knitting party. Errrr....

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Coleen, Icarus is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Sorry I missed seeing it in person.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet with more visits the pup will get used to the house--even if the stairs remain a challenge.

Icarus is gorgeous! (Makes me want to say 'Ithaca is gorges")

7:51 PM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

Ooooh, lovely Icarus! Well done!

8:04 PM  
Blogger KT said...

Woo! Now those are some pics worth waiting for! Great job - it's gorgeous!!

2:38 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

hopefully the fun of the beach made up for the hate of the house for little poodle! :) Sorry I couldn't be there for the party - looks like it was a blast!

Icarus is AMAZING! Wow!!!!!!!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Thanks for having us over for a little knitting fun!

The shawl is just so beautiful!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

It is seriously even more stunning in person. I know how long you worked on that thing, and it is most definitely worth it. So gorgeous! and cashmere too! Ahhh!

Thanks for the fun night, girly. I love The Poodle!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Hey, isn't there a really nice yarn store in Rehoboth? I was there this past summer...I loved all the shops!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Icarus is beautiful - shame you can't keep it but at least it's still in the family.

6:42 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Wow, the picture of the skyline and the pics of Icarus are totally complimentary! Looking good :)

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home