Saturday, March 11, 2006

Slowly Getting Back to Normal

Finally... the show is open! It has been the most insane week. And I am extremely glad it is over! The show opened last night and was very well received. Only one major problem... The Beast's head fell off at the end of the second act. (It was damn funny... if you want to hear the story, just ask!)

I will back at the Columbia theatre tomorrow. I don't think I've ever said this before - I'm happy to be going back to the theatre tomorrow. The new space is really nice, but I want be back in my own light booth.

I have to design the lights for a kid show this week and then I think my life will finally be back to "normal." Having to do two tech weeks in a three week time period is killer. We are all completely fried.

In knitting world... I actually did manage to find the odd times to knit this week. I worked on the green toe ups and on my argyle. Sadly, I'm starting to think this argyle is never going to fit on my fat ankles. I'm having a little fantasy that I'm going to be able to block it into submission, but I'm not really holding my breath on that one. I just don't think it's going to work. So I'll probably frog it and either try again or use the yarn for something else. Sad because I'm really excited about how the argyle is turning out.

Last night, I got home from the theatre and decided to start winding the lime fire yarn into a ball. I'm an idiot. I cannot tell you what a huge mess I made. I turned that gorgeous skein into one giant knot. I was going to take pictures, but honestly I was too embarrased at the big knotted mess I had created. I stayed up till 3:00 a.m. trying to untangle it. Then I got up this morning and worked on it some more. Finally... I have this....

Image hosting by Photobucket

In the midst of my untangling, I stopped long enough to start looking for swifts and ball winders on ebay. I think it's time for me to own these items. I put a bid on a ball winder, but I just got the dreaded email telling me I'd been outbid. So, I'll go back and look again. I should not be allowed to wind by hand and alone. Usually I take my skeins to the theatre and get some unsuspecting fool to hold it for me while I wind.

Anyways... despite the tangled mess, I LOVE this yarn. It is crazy bright and really soft. I've cast on for a sock from the Vintage Sock book, but I think I'm going to change my mind. The pattern I originally chose has a bit of stitch detail that will be lost by the color changes in this yarn I think. We shall see....

Oh... note to Yarn Coffee... Thanks for the Sock Queen comment! I picture a crown with little diamond Jaywalkers all over it! Actually, I think maybe I am more of a Sock Princess as I seem to have a problem with finishing what I start!

My advice is to find a pattern you like and just jump in. That's what I did. If you make a mistake - rip it out. It's just yarn. Check the internet for tons of resources on how to knit socks. There are endless free patterns out there. As for double points versus Magic Loop, I like both. Once you get the hand of the Magic Loop thing, it is really quite simple. But I just bought these shorty double points (I saw Eunny using them, and I had to try them) and I love them. They seem much more suited to knitting socks then the longer DPNs that I have.

Also, you might try checking out your local yarn shop - it seems like there are lots of places offering sock classes.

Sock knitting is fun. Especially the turning the heel part. It's really cool! Keep me posted on what you decide to do - if I can be of any help, just ask!

And now for a little advertising...

The Baltimore Knitting Meetup group is coming to Columbia on a field trip! We are going to meet at All About Yarn next Saturday, 3/18 at 11:00 am. for some yarn shopping and then we are going to head over to Premiere English Coffee for a little knitting and coffee. I hearby invite you all to come! It should be fun. (What's not fun about shopping in a yarn store with other crazy knitters?!)

Also, the Sucky Knitting Girls are getting together again next Monday 3/20 at the Panera in Columbia. If you are in the area and want to come knit with a crazy bunch of girls, I hope you will join us! (I can't wait!!!!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

Man, I'd love to go to the All About Yarn trip, but I have to teach all day. You up for coffee during the week?


You might do a swatch with Amy's yarn about sock width (twice sock width would be best) to see how much it seems to be pooling/flashing. Then you can see if it's regular enough for a pattern. The colors are different enough that it might be tough, but if it's fairly regular changes, simple lace like Feather and Fan often look good.


Can't wait to hear the story of the beheaded Beast.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Glad to hear things are calming down for you!

I really hope the argyle sock works out! It was looking really amazing!

Have fun on your field trip!!

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may be there. Its my birthday on the 18th, and also the birthday of Cloverhill in Catonsville. I may just make it a Fiber-Birthday for me!

10:38 PM  
Blogger laura said...

I am going to be able to make it to the All About Yarn trip. :)

Woohoo Fiber!

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home