Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Gratuitous Poodle Picture

Image hosting by Photobucket

She looks like a ratty wind-up toy, but she's awful cute!

KnitPicks came today! YAY! I've already cast on some pink fun. I'll have to post pictures at another time 'cause I'm just too damn tired to do it now. (Another LOOOONG day at the theatre.) I'm attempting Eunny's argyle chart in brown and pink. I haven't done a whole lot of stranded knitting, but I'm going to try and see what happens.

Right now I'm suffering through some obligatory ribbing. Have I mentioned...I HATE RIBBING. I hate hate hate it. Here's my problem... I purl with my thumb. I carry the yarn over the thumb on my left hand and just kind of flick my thumb and catch the yarn with the right needle. When I have to do many purl stitches in a row, I can do this quite fast. However, when having to switch back and forth between knitting and purling, it becomes tedious to switch between carrying the yarn on my index finger and carrying the yarn on my thumb.

So, I'm trying to force myself to try to purl with my index finger on my left hand. It's not going well. I keep going back to my thumb without even realizing it. I know that what I should do is purl a swatch and force myself to do the entire thing without using my thumb. Just to get the hang of it. I don't think I'll ever give up purling with my thumb completely - it's just much easier for me. But I think if I can learn the "correct" way to purl, my ribbing will go faster and perhaps I won't hate it quite as much!

5 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

Despite your hatred for ribbing, I can't wait to see what it looks like in person!

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gratuitous poodle-age, I love it! Thats kind of what my guys look like after a bath, of course Conan looks more like a drowned rat, but Sydney definitely looks like that after a bath.

I can't wait to see your attempt at Eunny's argyle. I think I'm going to have to work up the balls to try it myself.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Bad, knitter! Bad, bad! NO SUCH THING as correct or incorrect. Sucky, yes, right or wrong, no.

If you want, next time we do lunch I'll see if I can show you a handhold that might work for you....

11:57 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Some ribbing is hateful, I agree! I find that K3,P1 is pretty nice to knit, but K2,P2 makes me want to scream after about half an inch. K1P1? Forget about it!

Thanks for the input on my sockpal socks! So far, Mother Lode is the clear winner.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Coleen,
cute dog. I agree with the ribbing and have totally abandoned seed stitch. My knitting form is horrendous. But it works, and I enjoy it, so if my friend has to wait until next winter for her scarf, so be it! Hope to "meetup" with you soon--Sarah

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home