Tuesday, February 13, 2007

SNOW!!!!

SNOW!!!

We are having a little storm here in MD. We got about two inches of fluffy white snow this morning which is now being coated in an icy glaze of freezing rain. Last I heard, there could be a quarter inch of ice covering the world by tomorrow. I already did the "bread, milk, and toilet paper" run to the grocery store, so I am happily enjoying my snow day! They've already canceled my matinee show tomorrow, so I get another snow day tomorrow! Yay!

I tried to get a cute "Poodle in the snow" picture, but she was being seriously uncooperative. This is the best I got:

elusive Poodle

Yes, the black blob in the middle of that picture is the Poodle.

I gave up and took paw print pictures instead.

Poodle paw

There has been a lot of knitting going on here in snow land. But first, I want to show you some AMAZING gifts I have received over the past couple of days.

The ever-talented Jolene gave me a belated birthday present the other day.

Coleen socks

Coleen socks

Coleen socks

Aren't they GORGEOUS??? She designed the pattern herself. And the name of the pattern? "Coleen" How cool is that?? I LOVE THEM. Thank you Jolene!!!

Yesterday, I went to the mailbox and discovered a package for me from Chicago. Hmm.... I don't think I know anyone in Chicago! I opened it up and found this:

GORGEOUS yarn

That's a skein of Blackberry Ridge Mer-Made on the left and a skein of Briar Rose Sweet Freedom on the right. WOW!!!!

There was a note inside that said: "a fellow knitter told me you could use a yarn infusion. Enjoy." It wasn't signed, there was no name on the package. It was a mystery gift!

Well, a few emails later, and I discovered that the "fellow knitter" was Maryse. She was reading a blog and the blogger said that she had some yarn to give away and Maryse suggested she send it to me! So the very generous Carolyn of Girl Reaction sent this fabulous package to me - a complete stranger! Talk about Random Act of Kindness! I am so touched and thrilled! Thank you much to both Maryse and Carolyn for such a great surprise! I have already balled up the Briar Rose and cast on for socks. The colors are so beautiful! Lucky lucky me!

As to my knitting...

Pembrokshire Pathways socks

pretty gusset and heel
heel detail
toe detail

Pembrokeshire Pathways Socks
yarn: Knitpicks Palette in Blush
needles: um.... Oddly, I knit one of these magic loop on a size 2 Addi Turbo circ and I knit the other on size 2 DPNs. I didn't even realize I had done this until Lolly mentioned it on my Flickr page. I have no idea why I did this!

Modifications... I did an "eye of the partridge' heel instead of the heel in the pattern. I just love the way it looks. I also had two unintentional modifications. The cuffs on the socks are not the same length. I'm not sure what my problem was but one cuff is two inches and the other is three. Oh well. Also, since I am continually stupid about reading directions, I screwed up arranging the stitches for the instep on one sock, so the pattern gets a little mushy on the sides, but you really have to be looking for mistakes to see it.

Despite my mistakes, these socks make me happy. They are so girly and cute!

I also finished knitting my baby kimono. But I have yet to sew it together. I am terrible at finishing. I tried and it became a big lumpy mess. So I'm hoping that Jolene will take pity on me and give me a hand with the finishing.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

I came across your blog by looking around for Maryland knitting blogs. I live in Baltimore and recently learned. Your pink socks are gorgeous. I'll definitely check back to see your future projects.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two pairs of pretty socks there! the pink ones you made and the green ones your friend made! :)

7:46 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

those Colleen socks are wonderful! What an ingeniously simple but elegant pattern. My parents have been keeping me apprised of the snow in MD regularly; I'm jealous!

8:49 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

man, if i'd known she was giving away yarn that beautiful i would have told her that i needed the yarn ;)

both pairs of socks of beautiful. ask your friend for the coleen pattern.

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yous socks came out SO PRETTY. I love the heel. Cant wait to visit them at knit knite. Enjoy your snowdays

8:35 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

All I can say: YOU LUCKY GIRL! :) I just love the socks that J made for you - what a cute toe detail! and the lacey socks you made are so elegant. A beautiful choice with that pink yarn.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I live in southern maryland and all we got was rain. :( I wanted snow (and snowdays) so bad! I love your socks. :)

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray snow! I like the pawprint. and the socks are awesome! The green Coleen ones are pretttyyy.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

We got slammed with that storm too....I could use a couple pair of those socks right now!!! Very pretty!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

I got to see the Coleen socks in progress, and the pink ones, too. I was seriously hoping that both of you would suddenly measure wrong and make all four socks too short (and therefore need an oddly-shaped-footed friend to give them to.... Unfortunately, they're perfect for you! I guess you deserve them, too... dammit.

5:12 PM  
Blogger chacha / Jen said...

The PP socks look fantastic! Can't wait to see them in person!

Doesn't Jolene rule? The Coleen socks are so pretty. :)

9:49 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Wow!! Lucky girl! I love those Colleen socks! And the pink socks are just great too. Bring them both to knit nite so I can drool all over them!

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Pembrokeshire Pathways socks are fabulous - thanks for the link (I hadn't seen them before).

9:59 PM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

These socks are great! I see what you mean about the partridge heel, and I hope your friend makes her pattern available, I really like it!

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home