Monday, March 05, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers

A little over a year ago, I was lucky enough to meet an amazing group of women. In just a short year, they have become so important to me. We've shared many laughs, a few tears, several bottles of wine, and many many knitted stitches. I am truly blessed to have these people in my life. They have been there for me so many times already, it just doesn't seem possible that I've only known them a year.

And once again, they have proven that sometimes, you just have to ask for some help.

As you may remember, a few short weeks ago I was in a state because my windshield wipers were broken and the stupid mechanic wanted $388 to fix them. I was told repeatedly "the part will be in tomorrow" till finally, I had enough and told them I wanted my money back. (They made me pay for the part in advance.) I was refunded for the part, but was still out about $90 in labor charges. And I was really angry!

So, I posted to knitting board - "Does anyone know of a good, trustworthy mechanic?"

A few days later, I was knitting with the girls and Jody said "you should bring your car over to my house and see if my husband can fix it."

At this point, I was willing to try anything. Rain was in the forecast and I needed my damn wipers to work!

Can I just tell you that this wonderful man, who I had never met before, fixed my windshield wipers in less than an hour. He just popped it right back into place. In the rain. And it was really cold out. No parts needed. OHMYGOD!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

I'm still overwhelemed. $300 - SAVED. Not to mention my sanity - you can lose a lot of sleep stressing about windshield wipers! And he said "I'm a firm believer in pay it forward, so now you do something nice for someone else." Jody suggested I make a baby hat for Jolene's collection. Done and done. Seriously, it's the least I can do.

Proof there are still nice, kind, generous people in the world.

As for the evil people in the world, you can bet that there is a seriously nasty letter being written to the hateful, lying, cheating, money grubbing bastards at the car repair place. Never ever ever again will I go there. Asses.

On to other things...

I am pleased to say that I finally cast on for the second Anemoi mitt.
second mitt on the needles

I cast on Saturday night and knit about 7 rows before I realized that I wasn't reading the pattern correctly. (again.) I ripped it all out and started over, and this is the result of two shows yesterday at the theatre. I have happily reached the charted part. Those purl stitches in the ribbing were killing me. I still haven't found a way to comfortably purl English style.

I decided to take a little video to show how I knit two colors. I knit continental with my left hand and English with my right.


I completely love knitting this way. I used to carry both yarns in my left hand, but I find this to be much easier. It prevents twisting the floats and I think it helps my tension.

As you can see, I decided to switch the yarn colors for this mitt. I already like it better.

The Monkey socks are still on the needles. I haven't worked on them in a few days. But I only have one more pattern repeat before I do the heels. I decided to add one more pattern repeat than is called for, so I'll have a slightly longer sock.

Hey... did you know that MD Sheep and Wool is 2 months from today? Let the excitement begin!

10 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

I am so glad that I met you and the other gals from knitnite - it truly has been a blessing to get to know all of you! I'm glad we can help each other out!!

3:52 PM  
Blogger chacha / Jen said...

That's excellent! And now you can spend that $300 on yarn... ;)

5:51 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

It's good to hear about positive things like this happening -it just reaffirms my faith in Human nature - nice one.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story! I love the "pay it forward" concept. Once someone on the highway paid the toll for a friend and me--we hadn't noticed the car in front of us in order to even attempt to reciprocate, but paid for someone behind us at the next toll booth.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How absolutely great and kind it was of your friend's hubby to help you out with the windshield wipers - he sounds like a gift from heaven indeed! I mean, we're talking about 300 bucks that you've saved, what a big amount this is! Obviously there's still some good, nice, helpful and friendly people out there!
Thanks so much for sharing that video - this is a technique that I've never tried before, but I definitely will - it seems to be quite easy once you've got the hang of it, and so very effective!

4:11 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

that is so great!!!!! truly an amazing group of girls (and their hubby's!) now that $300 can go to the S&W fest with you! (we better be meeting up either there or before!)

the mitts look great - I do stranded knitting that way too - one color in each hand. I find it really rhythmic when I get into it...

9:26 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Jen is wrong. You should spend the $300 on ME!!!

No?

9:48 AM  
Blogger GinaChick said...

Sooo excited for Md Sheep and Wool!! And so happy that your car troubles are behind you ... just in time for the snow we might get tomorrow!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

I am so glad that it all worked out, girl! Yea!
2 months? man, this year is flying by! I better get knitting to reduce the stash and make some room :)

3:21 PM  
Blogger Mister John said...

What have I done? Now they're scheming to spend that car repair money on yarn! Curses!

Just kidding and thank you for the kind words (and addicting fudge!). Ping me again and we'll get those rubber bits on either side of the windshield taken care of. That way ice won't cause the same problem again! ;)

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home