Thursday, March 01, 2007

One down, one to go


back of my first anemoi mitten

Finished and blocked. Soooooo many mistakes! But it still is pretty!

The palm has the most glaring mistakes.

palm view

See that mess at towards the top... where the pattern lines up vertically instead of diagonally? um... Ooops! I don't know what I did. But the mistake occurs right around a place that I had that dropped stitch to deal with, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

The thumb is also a mess. Besides stupid knitting mistakes, it's just slightly too short. Blocking really didn't help much. But I had already ripped it back once and don't feel like ripping it back again, so it will stay as is.

I gotta say... this is an excellent knit though - despite my issues. It never gets boring. As we all know, the pattern designer is genius. And I still LOVE the two color knitting. And it's just so pretty!

Here are some gut pictures for those who like such things

palm guts
hand guts
I am having a little bit of Second Mitten Syndrome, but I will try to cast on for the second mitt soon. I am going to swap the colors and try not to make so many mistakes! I think swapping the colors may actually help that. Trying to make my brain equate the light yarn to the dark circles on the pattern was painful. I should have just kept it as written. But I think having a positive and a negative of the same mitten might be fun.

In the mean time, I am slowly knitting on the Monkey socks. Here are some very unimpressive progress shots.
monkey pattern repeat 3 or 4
monkeys on a ledge

I'm a little concerned that these may be a tad too big. (gauge? what's that?) They are very stretchy.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your insides look so EVEN. Please share your even knitting stranded knitting secrets with me.

3:44 PM  
Blogger KT said...

Awesome mitten! Even the insides look pretty!

And they aren't mistakes - they're design choices. And I wouldn't have noticed them if you hadn't pointed them out ;)

6:36 PM  
Blogger chacha / Jen said...

The mitten looks great -- the green-on-green was an excellent choice!

Ditto what kadiddly said... 'design features' are just our way of putting our own stamp on a pattern. :D

6:40 PM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

holy crap coleen those mittens are awesome! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the colours. Your monkeys are looking fabo too.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who looks at one's palms anyway!? it looks great. i'm impressed you blocked it and everything.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Unimpressive shots of the socks? I think not - those are great pics! I love the way the pattern is working up :)

And the mitten is gorgeous!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

those look great - nice and even! you don't even notice the slight boo-boos.

I had that same problem with a chart (dark to light) I had my hubby scan it into Photoshop and he reversed them!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Pretty! And I like the idea of having a positive and negative mitten.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

The socks and mittens are gorgeous!

I just love the Monkey pattern - I may have to cast on for those myself!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

SO pretty!

There's a tradition that one must not bind off a sock (or mitten or glove) without IMMEDIATELY starting the second....

any ideas why that might be?

(hint: something about second syndromes...)


XOXOX

1:44 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Love the mitten! Maybe one of these days I will try some color work too.

2:31 PM  
Blogger elinor said...

The mitten is gorgeous! I think you did beautifully. And I really like the sock, too. ^_^ Pretty monkies!

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home