Saturday, March 10, 2007

Knit One, Zoo Too

I have started this post about 4 times now, but for some reason, I keep tripping over my words. I don't think my brain is functioning today. It is managing the basic needs, like breathing, but trying to form actual thoughts is a challenge!

It has been a slow week around here. I am currently between kid shows at the theatre, so I have had way too much time on my hands. I have managed to be productive though. I have been on a spring cleaning rage. I have finally cleaned out the "junk room" in an effort to maybe some day have a craft room. There have been many many trips to the Salvation Army and I think the garbage men probably hate me, but I am pleased to say that there is actually a floor in there now! There is still a great deal I want to accomplish in there, but I'm really pleased with the progress so far. There is something mentally cleansing about getting rid of clutter. I thought about taking before and after pictures, but really, the before picture would have been embarassing!

On Wednesday, we had a freak snow "storm" here in Maryland. It was rediculous - they canceled schools. It was barely a dusting! And both of my main stage shows got canceled. Faced with the prospect of yet another day at home, I called S. and begged him to get me out of the house. We decided that a trip to the zoo in the snow might be fun. Actually, I decided and somehow managed to convince S.
Lion in Winter
The last time I was at the zoo, back in warmer days, I got in a conversation with a volunteer at the panda pavillion. She told me that the best time to come see the pandas was when it was snowing. She said they were at there most active during a snow storm, rolling down the hill, playing in the snow and having a good time. I used this information in my efforts to persuade S.

panda with a hangover

Active? Playing in the snow? How about... Panda with a hangover?

sleepy panda
Don't bother Mommy, she has a headache.

I guess we missed the "playing in the snow" part. This panda was in a coma! The other two pandas weren't much better. They were both awake, but indoors and stuffing their faces with bamboo.

Despite the dead pandas, we had a good time. We pretty much had to the zoo to ourselves. There weren't a lot of animals out in the snow. But we wandered around and saw the animals that were hiding inside.

I had grand plans of taking a picture of my monkey sock in front of the monkeys, but we couldn't find any monkeys! We found the gorillas and they had macaques but we couldn't find any chimps or just plain old monkeys. Perhaps they were hiding somewhere to stay out of the snow, but we didn't even find empty cages.

So, the monkey sock had a photo shoot a few days later, minus an actual monkey and you will notice, minus the snow. (It's already gone.)

finished a monkey
finished monkey sock

I was doing these magic loop- two at the same time, but I ended up switching to dpns. The stitches had to be rearranged for doing the heel so as to center the pattern and I just never put it back on the circulars. So, one sock is finished and the other needs a heel, foot and toe.

one monkey finished

I also switched needle sizes when I started the heel. I started the socks on US2 circs and switched to US1 dpns. The leg of the sock was seeming a little too big. Switching down a size was definitely a good idea. It fits great.

So, here's a question.... I got myself a subscription to Vogue Knitting back in January. When I ordered it, I requested that they start the subscription with the spring issue, since I already owned the winter issue. And of course, two days ago, I got the winter issue in the mail. Has anyone had this happen to them and had any luck complaining about it? I'm not even sure who I should contact. If anyone wants a copy of the Winter VK, just let me know... I have two now!

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

If you can find a number in the mag (or on a website) they almost always extend the subscription by one. That is, most magazines would, I can't speak for VK itself.

However, I do believe that "Despite the dead pandas, we had a good time." ranks right up there with "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" on the list of greatest sentences of all time.

XOXOX

5:19 PM  
Blogger KT said...

*smirks* I'm with Amie about the dead panda quote.

How warm are the monkey socks? I know the science of warmth and lace, but socks with holes just defy all logic for me. Pretty colors, though!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

too funny - I'm also a lover of that Panda comment!!! nice that you didn't have to battle the crowds though!

the socks look great. the pattern really shows nicely!

I'd give VK a call- they should (I would think!) be able to help!

11:06 AM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

If i was you i'd be glad to have avoided the monkeys ;) but then again we know my thoughs on them...

7:43 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

What a fun day, girl! It sounds like you had a fun time at the zoo, despite the dead pandas. I still haven't been down there to see Tai Shan.
What a great way to usher in the new season too - I really have to do some spring cleaning of my own. Our house is too cluttered. I am long overdue for a Salvation Army donation trip. I go there too often and bring things home - I need to take some things to replenish :)

Great to see you last night. Love the socks you are making! Even prettier in person!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

ix
Such a cute dead panda!!! Oh & I love the quote.

Monkeys= fab! What a great color choice for the pattern

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the zoo in the snow sounds so cool, um, no pun intended. Really, I hate puns (goes back to the really bad dork I dated in high school, oh shiver).

Yeah monkey socks! So pretty.

And good for you and spring cleaning. I refuse to look at the floor in my office. If I don't look at it, then there is no mess.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

do you ever wonder what people are thinking as they watch you take pictures of your feet???? Cute socks, by the way!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home