Thursday, March 29, 2007

On the sticks

Lots of knitting going on over here! I have made some decent progress on Arwen.

Arwen left front

That is the left front with the early stages of a sleeve! Go me! I might actually make a sweater!

cable panel

I must say, things got much more interesting once I started the sleeve. I actually had to pay attention! I was very careful and read the directions several times before starting the sleeve. I'm determined to keep any ripping back to a minimum. I'm usually not so good with directions, so I made some effort this time. I had some issues with the cable panel at first so I had to call The Knitting Helpline for assistance. See... I thought I knew how to read a chart, but apparantly, I only know how to read charts for knitting in the round! After Amie pointed me in the right direction, things went much better.

I decided that this is my light booth knit. Anytime I'm at work, I am knitting on this. I'm not allowing myself to bring any other projects to work with me. That way... Arwen gets some dedicated knitting time. Also, it allows me to knit on other things when I'm not at work. And then I don't feel guilty for neglecting Arwen!

So... when not in the light booth, I have been knitting this:

Waving Lace cuff

It's a Waving Lace Sock from the new Interweave book Favorite Socks. They are the socks on the front cover of the book.

I seriously LOVE this pattern. I have no worries about second sock syndrome with this - it's just too much fun to knit. I love the scalloped edging on the cuff and I'm pretty pleased with the yarn too. It's Shelridge Farm Soft Touch Ultra in Lemonlime that I picked up at MS&W last year. I've been wanting to use this yarn for a while, but I wanted the perfect pattern for it. I think I found it! Since taking this picture, I've put about another inch or so on it. I've got about 10 more rows before starting the heel. I cast on for this on Monday, so it's going fast.

I also made Archie this past weekend:

Archie

Archie is supposed to be a horse. I think he currently looks like a rat (minus the icky tail).

Archie the rat horse
Hopefully the addition of a mane and a tail will help him look a little more equine and a little less rodent! I don't think he is nearly as cute as Pepe, but he has his charm. The directions call for the use of embroidery to attach the mane. I'm not so sure about my embroidery talents, so I haven't gotten around to adding the mane yet, but I may make an attempt tomorrow.

I hope you all have a brilliant weekend. I will be in tech - Ugh. Here's a little spring picture for those of you still suffering the throes of winter.
magnolias
My neighbor's magnolia tree.

8 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

Go you!! Arwen will be done in no time! Charts are funny - in the round they are so easy and make perfect sense - all the challenge is knitting one flat! :)

I love archie! What about attaching the mane like you'd attach fringe on a blanket - with a crochet hook and just pulling it through? (making the strands twice as long)

Shelridge makes yarn that color?!? I will so be getting some this year in MD!

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cables on your sweater look so good! Love the color of your new sock. Good luck in tech.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

I think technically the knitting helpline pointed you in the LEFT direction.

:D

Looks wonderful!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Arwen is looking so fantastic!!! Oh my gosh!

A horse-rat! HA!

Either way he's really cute!

12:05 PM  
Blogger KT said...

Okay, it cracks me up that there is a wiki article on tech week. That's too funny!

I feel your pain - we tech not this weekend but next. It's not a huge musical, though, thank goodness!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Arwen is looking fabulous!!

And I love Archie too - you are too quick!!

8:26 PM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

Your arwen looks awesome! You really are tempting me with this one...I may have to make it!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Terri Lynn said...

Arwen is looking great and the horse will be adorable with it's mane and tail applied, and awfully cute now. The cow is very sweet. I loved the baby kimono and the flower pics were nice eye candy. Your sist is so fun to come look at....and drool over.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home