Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Snow on the Beach

snow on the beach

Well.... I had always wanted to see snow on the beach. This really wasn't what I had in mind. Nor did I ever think I would see snow on the beach in April.
snowy boardwalk
Oh well! Despite the completely insane weather, it was a lovely weekend in Rehoboth. I got to hang out with my sister and my neice for a bit and then I had a really lazy weekend of shopping, watching movies, knitting and enjoying the view.

1434

On Saturday, I drove into Lewes, DE to wander around. I went to Ginger Moon yarn shop (no web site) and got to visit with Betty.

Betty

Betty stands on the counter and greets all the customers. So cute! I refrained from any yarn purchases. They have some gorgeous stuff there, but nothing really called to me. But the shop is worth the trip. If for nothing other than seeing Betty!

I also wandered around this amazing old church yard in town.
Lewes churchyard

All the graves were from the 1800's. It was really interesting to read all the tombstones and see the family relationships.

old grave
I was particularly drawn to this little grave. Ruth was born in December of 1852 and died in February of 1857. Just four years old. Crazy to think that was 150 years ago.

After wandering around Lewes a bit (I love it there.) I headed back to Rehoboth and went to Knitty Gritty. I really hadn't intended to buy anything, but I ended up buying some Lorna's Laces sock. Like I need more sock yarn!

I headed back to the house and snuggled in with some movies and my knitting. I finished the left sleeve of Arwen.
Left side of Arwen

I grafted the cuff together while knitting with the girls last night.
Arwen cuff
Thanks to Jolene and Amie for the help picking up the stitches to do so. I was so proud of myself - I thought I did a great job grafting it together, you could barely see the seam. And then I realized that I had grafted it together INSIDE OUT. Really I'm an idiot. Well, it doesn't look nearly as neat and pretty when it is turned the correct way, but I am not ripping it out. I figure I can do it better on the other sleeve!

In other knitting... I finished one of the Waving Lace Socks
Finished Waving Lace sock
Waving Lace toe

And I am pleased to say that the second one is on the needles. No second sock syndrome here!
I love the yarn. (Shelridge Farm Soft Touch Ultra) I plan on getting more at Maryland Sheep and Wool, which, by the way, is in less than a month!!!!

And speaking of sheep...

Meet Frank!
Frank
Frank

Frank joins Archie and Pepe...
stack o' animals
Pepe, Frank, and Archie

Archie finally has a mane and tail, but it did little to reduce his rodent-like appearance.!

I just got the new issue of Simply Knitting yesterday, so there will be a pig, chicken and goose on the way soon!

I think that covers all my knitting and beach escapades for now!

13 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

I love your little knit farm! So cute!

Arwen is looking great!

Snow on the beach. SO Weird!!!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

I love your little farm animals, and your new green sock sure says spring.

5:30 PM  
Blogger danielle said...

I love Rehoboth and Lewes in any weather and have seen snow there, but that was in October one year.

The waving lace sock looks really nice.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Snow on the beach - a strange and wonderful sight. Your photos of the gravestones are very evocative - love that cold light. It looks like a great time for knitting warm things.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always find it weird to think that the beach even exists from October to May! Sounds like a great weekend.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

snow and all it looks like a great getaway, and it seems you were pretty productive!

the sock is great - you have to remind me to get some of that color at the festival - I love it!

love the evolving barnyard - they are too darn cute!

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Snow on the beach!! Now I've seen everything. And that little dog on the counter is too cute!

2:29 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

i love the beach in the winter. even in the snow.

frank totally rocks and i love the green socks.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

They probably closed Rehoboth school because of that blizzard....

But I'm still having a hard time understanding why it is Frank doesn't live with me???

9:08 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Ha! I love the sheep!! I need that yarn!

I love how Arwen is coming too! Oh and the socks are so great!

It's so cool that you got to see snow on the beach (sort of!)

Oh and I missed you! Now I'm just gushing.... hehehe

9:33 PM  
Blogger GinaChick said...

I am just so in love with your farm animals ... they are getting me excited to see all the animals at MSW! I am particularly itching to make the cow. I must go to borders to buy that magazine.

Do you think they still have the issue with the cow? What issue of Simply Knitting had the cow pattern?

11:52 AM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

Oh my god snow on a beach? That doesn't make sense at all to me!
Your animal menagerie photos are fantastic! Love it!

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great time it seems you've had - but I'm sorry that the weather wasn't any better. Then again, snow on the beach in April is certainly not an everyday sight, who knows when you'll get to see that again!
I absolutely love the Waving Lace Sock, what a really, really beautiful pattern this is! And your farm animals are just the cutest!

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home